General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

697,000+ NO's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 5 Nov 2004 20:38

Congratulations to everyone in the North East who had the sense to reject the Assembly....poor John Prescott - another failure

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 5 Nov 2004 20:50

I can't remember getting a voting form (probably lost in the post) but am glad of the result. As a union representative and ex Labour party member I am fed up with this lot who promised so much and done so little. It would have been just a way to create "jobs for the boys". Bob

Bob

Bob Report 5 Nov 2004 20:52

Thank heaven for a sensible electorate. Well done you lot oop there

Bob

Bob Report 5 Nov 2004 20:58

Come on Jean - don't be shy. Say what you really think.... LOL

Christine

Christine Report 5 Nov 2004 21:15

Couldn't agree more Jean...on the news tonight he said that people talk about the north/south divide but that in this region we have a divide between the north and the south of the region....well in this we weren't divided not one area voted 'yes'......the north east was reunited....folks up here are no fools !!!!! They are also claiming a success for the postal vote....it was a success because we all wanted to vote NO and it was the only way we could do it !!!!!

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 5 Nov 2004 22:52

Robert It was only the North-east that had the vote. Yorkshire was going to be next, on the radio this am they were saying that now that the majority of north-easterners have voted NO yorkshire people might not have to vote. Sue

Maureen

Maureen Report 5 Nov 2004 23:16

John Prescott will probably think that the 700,000 who voted no are all wrong and he is the only one with any sense. To use an old Northern quote; All the worlds queer 'cept thee and me. And even thou's a little strange! John Prescotts thoughts right now?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Nov 2004 01:58

I totally agree with you Christine and Jean - the only North/South divide is in Prescotts mind!! And it would have meant 'jobs for the boys'!! Anyway, isn't Prescott busy enough trying to sink the South East with housing!!!! He'd be better off trying to create jobs in the North - and you don't need an assembly for that maggie

**Sheesh

**Sheesh Report 6 Nov 2004 11:23

I too voted no and was hoping that it would be rejected but was surprised by how overwhelmingly it was. Like Jean i can see no point in having a regional assembly as we already have MPs representing the North East in parliament. And at the end of the day it would have been down to us to foot the bill for yet another white elephant.