General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fred Dibnah

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 6 Nov 2004 18:02

Have just heard that steeplejack, Fred Dibnah has died, he was 66. God Bless Fred..

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Nov 2004 18:22

He was a gentle man as well as a gentleman.

badger

badger Report 6 Nov 2004 18:25

I will miss his programmes ,so diverse ,and interesting,we have lost a good man of wit and learning .Fred.ptfg.

Jean

Jean Report 6 Nov 2004 19:04

god bless fred a lovely man a realy great tv host will miss him rip

John

John Report 6 Nov 2004 19:20

I liked his programmes very much. His knowledge and love for machinary was inspiring.

Geoff

Geoff Report 6 Nov 2004 19:35

A true character - he was a living link with our history. Most abiding memory of him - Fred crouching waiting for the the telltale creaking of a chimney about to about to come crashing down .... "she's goin'" ..... then half a dozen parps on his old motor horn followed by a sprint as 200 feet of chimney came down within yards of him. Then a big grin and "Did ya like that?"

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 6 Nov 2004 19:57

Now He was a character, that I will REALLY miss......so down to earth, and entertaining..............remember when he brought down a building, by setting fire to some pit props he had placed around the foundations............rubber tyres pallets any thing that would burn, brought crowds, from miles around................

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Nov 2004 20:07

Lovely old guy. Reminded me of my Gran's Brother. Rest in Peace Fred. Jim

JG70

JG70 Report 6 Nov 2004 20:30

V sad news. He was a one-off. Jacquie

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 6 Nov 2004 21:10

hiya linda was just going to say fred was from my neck of the woods tipical lancashire man hard graffter and a(bloody) as he would say lol sence of humour rest inpeace fred

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 6 Nov 2004 22:18

How very sad. Fred was so enthusiatic about any topic he talked on. He fired many people to find out more about our industrial history. A very great loss. Viv

Kevin

Kevin Report 7 Nov 2004 00:43

I loved watching his shows. I am surprised he lasted til 66, after seeing him climbing those ladders and felling chimneys he must of come more than close more than the once mentioned earlier. I wonder if he ever traced his family tree. It must be an unusual name, there are 2 listed on this site.

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 7 Nov 2004 08:54

One of the most natural gentlemen you could wish for. Success never altered him a bit - he was still Fred, with no airs and graces or ideas of self-importance. Bless you Fred - you will be missed.