General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Memories

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Speedy

Speedy Report 7 Nov 2004 14:07

I would like to share a memory with you all, it was told to me by my nan who passed away in May she was just 95 and a very special nan. She used to talk of when she was little and she used to walk the dray horses through Wolverhampton, she was only 3 years old and walked between the front legs of the horse, as the horses were very large and she was so small, her dad used to have a pub, and she grew up with them round her, these days we would be horrified to see such a site, but in those days it was common, how time have changed. Over to you lot...do you have special memories you want to share. Bev

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Nov 2004 14:29

When I was little and living in London with my grandparents my Grandad would take me to Regent's Park to see the Van Horse Parades. Mighty Shires pulling Brewer's Drays, Ponies and Traps, Milk Floats, Delivery Vans, all proudly wearing Rosettes with their brasses gleaming. It was sad to me to see their numbers dwindling year by year.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 7 Nov 2004 14:45

As far as I know, Wadworths brewery in Devizes still uses dray horses to deliver to the pubs in the town centre. I keep meaning to go and check this out!

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 7 Nov 2004 15:05

we regularly went on holiday when i ws a child to weymouth, and drove through dorchester , you could smell the hops there, we often stopped off to go to a small pub for lunch in the centre of dorchester

Speedy

Speedy Report 7 Nov 2004 15:12

Those are all lovely, thanx for sharing them, it keeps all our rellies alive when we remember them, and it's suprising what little snipits come back to us. Bev

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Nov 2004 15:35

I remember our United Dairies milkmans 'Orse..........'E used to know the round so well, he didnt need to be told to move on a bit.............even when the milkman was a bit tipsy.....LOL