General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

World War 1 mass grave

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 9 Nov 2004 18:10

I have just read on the internet news. That the french are digging up a mass grave that has 8,000 english soldiers buried there who died at The Battle of Loos. The french are bulldozing this site now bringing the bones to the top so that they can make it into a rubbish dump. The mass grave is in LOOS Northern France. This mass grave should be left alone to the memory of these men and young lads that fought to Free france from the Germans. If this had have happened in England there would have been an uproar and everybody would have been writing to their MP' Just wonder what everyone else thinks. Sue

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 9 Nov 2004 18:14

Im disgusted, so close to 11/11 as well

Andy

Andy Report 9 Nov 2004 18:16

A difficult one Susan, but I think as long as there are relatives of these lads who actually know their history still alive it should be left alone. I've two relatives buried in France, I should hate to see their graves disturbed.

Emma

Emma Report 9 Nov 2004 18:25

They should be left to rest in peace

♥ Katz

♥ Katz Report 9 Nov 2004 18:51

Totally disgusting. They sacrificed their lives for everyone today - they should be left in peace.

Jean

Jean Report 9 Nov 2004 19:22

totally and utter disgusting jean

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 9 Nov 2004 19:29

There is no mention of reburying the bones.But Richard Lane of the Royal Leicester regiment has said"If this had happened in England the people responsible would have been arrested." The Royal Leicester Regiment lost 500 men in the battle. Sue

Len

Len Report 9 Nov 2004 19:35

Having just visited that site I am appalled at the lack of decency shown by the French. A callous disregard for the men who gave their lives to save France, next time it happens maybe we should join the Germans and the French can go to h--l. It's not as though they havent any room, theyve got far more land area than we have and the same population.Another reason not to join the EU Len in Gosport. fuming!!!!!!!!