General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bank Scam (another one)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geoff

Geoff Report 10 Nov 2004 00:13

I just received this with an HSBC heading to it: "Online Banking Protect yourself from Internet fraud Financial institutions around the world have always been subject to attempts by criminals to try and defraud money from them and their customers. These attempts can occur in a number of ways (eg credit card fraud, telephone banking or Internet scams). As a part of our ongoing commitment to provide the "Best Possible" service to all our Members, we are now requiring each Member to validate their accounts once per month. To validate your personal HSBC online banking account follow the link below: https://www.ukpersonal.hsbc.co.uk " There then followed several pages of warnings on how these horrible people can defraud you (most considerate of them!). However 1) I don't have an HSBC account 2) If I did, the bank wouldn't send the e-mail simply to "Geoff" I suspect 1) They got my address from a Rootsweb message board 2) They are probably in the Far East as their clock was 8 hours ahead

badger

badger Report 10 Nov 2004 00:31

Thanks for the warning geoffe,we seem to get a new one every week ,and i wonder at times how many people get taken in and robbed.Fred.ptfg.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Nov 2004 01:03

Geoff I delete anything I get from bank websites. If my banks want to contact me, they write. nell

John

John Report 10 Nov 2004 01:48

Banks never ask you tell or write down your password! That is a ploy on these fake bank emails!

Deborah

Deborah Report 10 Nov 2004 02:27

Hi Geoff, I've had a few over the last couple of weeks, from PayPal, Barclays and Citibank. All scams. Most of the banks have a 'fraud dept' where you can forward these e-mails, directly for their attention, and investigation. Debbie

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 10 Nov 2004 06:45

i get then every day but to me its obvoius they r not rite mainly because i dont bank with them.....................

valinkent

valinkent Report 10 Nov 2004 07:36

In recent weeks i have emails from HSBC and BARCLAYS i do not belong to either . Val

June

June Report 10 Nov 2004 07:36

I am tired of HSBC ringing me to have a chat, when I ask what about, they say they cant say until I answer some security questions to make sure they are speaking to the right person. To which I reply that I cant answer their questions because I dont know that they are the HSBC, I only have their word for it. They immediatelt hand up the phone and I haven't received any post from HSBC so I think its a bit dodgy. June