General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question on Ancestry.com subscription

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 10 Nov 2004 14:46

This web site looks good, and I'm willing to pay the fee, but before I do, does anyone have any experience of whether it is worth the money for UK records. I believe it is a US site, so not sure of the bias. Any advice gratefully received. Paul

karen in the new forest

karen in the new forest Report 10 Nov 2004 14:48

go ancestry co uk if you only want english version karen

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 10 Nov 2004 14:50

Paul - the UK records include census returns for 1871, 1891 and 1901, and I think there are some 1851 records too, but limited as yet. Also BMD's (again I don't think this is complete but it's a good starting point) and Pallott's Marriage Index. These are the main ones I use, there are more I'm sure. I've found it worthwhile for my research, particularly the census data! Sheila

Sandra

Sandra Report 10 Nov 2004 14:55

Paul have you been on the tips board and seen the best websites list, theirs alot of info thats free happy hunting sandra

Paul

Paul Report 11 Nov 2004 12:45

Thank you all for your kind replies and help. I think I will take up Ancestry.com subscription.....

Pat

Pat Report 11 Nov 2004 12:50

Paul In my opinion Ancestry is worth every penny, I think it works out something like £6. a month, they have the complete 1891, they are updating the 1901 all the time and just recently added loads to 1871 in Staffs which has been great for me. As well as all the other stuff people have mentioned. I do look ups for other people, and sometimes when I or others cannot read an original census entry there is someone who can check it with you. I am on the site everyday. Great value for money. Pat x

Anna

Anna Report 11 Nov 2004 12:58

I think its well worth the money too,my subscription runs out in January and I am going to renew it when it does Take a look at this Its from the ancestry message boards,it tells you when they are likely to be releasing certain things "1901 - we are not planning any posts to 1901 census for the rest of this year. All focus is on 1871 and 1881. 1881 - This entire census will be available (free index, images for subscribers only) in the next few weeks. As this has been a linking project (linking our images to an existing index) it has not taken any resources away from 1871. 1871 - This is our primary focus until the end of the year. It looks like we won't quite have everything finished by end of year, but we will be very close. 1861 - we will begin posting as soon as 1901 is finished. I am not going to guess a date for this, but will say it will be in the first part of 2005. 1851 - Begin posting in late 2005 1841 - Begin posting after 1851 is complete Best regards, L. Brown Senior Product Manager" Hope this helps Anna :-)

Pat

Pat Report 11 Nov 2004 13:03

Thanks Anna keep forgetting to check the boards. It all looks good I reckon I will be taking out another year's sub then, when my year is up. The 1881 will be interesting as I have never seen an image from that census. Thats what I love about Ancestry being able to see the images myself. Pat x

Anna

Anna Report 11 Nov 2004 13:05

I think the 1881 will be good,cant wait to see the actual images for some of the rather odd Transcriptions ;-) Anna