General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you have a Desk Top and Lap Top connected t

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mommylonglegs

Mommylonglegs Report 10 Nov 2004 16:42

We have Wireless Internet connection from Blueyonder Broadband. When we had it put in we were told that we would be able to put Desk top in my daughters bedroom and have the Lap top where ever. I have now been told I have to set up a network. Then someone else tells me I shall have to have the two PC's connected by a cable. Can anyone advise please? Thanks Jenny.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Nov 2004 16:44

well if you have wireless, then you clearly don't need wires :) Presumably you have a wireless router attached to your broadband modem - in which case the laptop just needs a wireless lan card, and the tow should talk quite happily.

Mommylonglegs

Mommylonglegs Report 10 Nov 2004 16:55

Hi Paul. Here we are again me and my little problems and you always seem to be the first to offer help. Ihave put the software on my laptop and what we are doing at the moment is unplugging the little silver thing that goes into the USB slot when daughter wants to use the PC upstairs. It works a treat n both. Have to take it up to her again in a few minutes so i shall be off for a while. I have set up a network on the two PC's but of course it comes up "You have a cable unplugged" or words to that effect. What i do not understand is If we get one of these cards do I have to have one for each Pc or just the Lap Top. I am worried in case I go and get them, then find I have to still have a cable to connect the two. The Lap Top is not WLAN compatible. But there is space for a card. Hope you can follow me. Jenny

Mommylonglegs

Mommylonglegs Report 10 Nov 2004 17:03

Thanks all. Do you know i have had more sense out of you all than i got talking twice to someone at Blueyonder. You are a great bunch. Shall be off up to Pc World later and will let you all know, when I have it all set up. Jenny

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 10 Nov 2004 17:19

good to see ur able to get on gr again jenny xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Nov 2004 17:21

You need to buy a wireless card by the sounds of it. pop to PC world, they cost about £20. plug it in, follow the install instructions that come with the CD (it may want you to install software BEFORE putting the card in, so be careful). Should be easy.