General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How much do you spend on your family at Christmas?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mommylonglegs

Mommylonglegs Report 10 Nov 2004 23:25

I know we can all only spend as much as we can afford. But I do know there are a lot of people that get their selves into debt also. I am not asking who can afford what. I am mainly asking what you spend for each individual according to who they are. Do you draw a line when a certain person gets to a certain age. If they start having their own children and you stop buying for the adults and buy for the child. When they start full time employment. Do you have trouble with family over how much you have spent on so and so. Do you have some members of your family start arguements over the cost of your present to them. EG:- I spent so much on them and they only spent so much on me.The list is endless.?????????????????? Jenny

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 10 Nov 2004 23:37

Too Bloody Much Jenny!! I still buy as much for my older kids as I do for the younger ones... My eldest however has told me off for this the past two years and says there is no need for me to do that anymore as not only is he at Uni but he works part time so does have an income of his own and feels I should keep for myself what I spend on him. Shaz x

♥ Katz

♥ Katz Report 10 Nov 2004 23:38

Depends on finances really. One Xmas was really horrible. We couldn't afford to get anyone anything - my soon 2bx job was with a tied cottage, he lost his job and along with that the house and car - we had nothing. Everyone still got us and kids something though (even though we had asked them not to) and I felt awful - really mean - but literally we didn't have two penny's to rub together. This Xmas will be a bit lean too. Kxx

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 10 Nov 2004 23:41

Hi Jenny, I'm just about finished my Christmas shopping for my own four kids, been at it for months and thankfully haven't had to get into any debt to do it. I think the amount you spend on your kids can get out of hand but we (parents) only have ourselves to blame. I've known some families who don't spend much at all and their kids are as happy with what they get as others who've always had a fortune spent on them. My eldest is 19 now and works full time, he knows he won't get as much as the little ones. I have one friend who so far has spent well over a thousand on her 8 yr old son, which personally I think is just ridiculous! Last week there was a sale at "Big W" and I was shocked to see a loan company at the doorway offering 1,000 pound credit there and then to people going in. How tempting that must have been to some families who are maybe struggling to buy for their kids!!! Now they'll be toiling for the next year or so to pay it off. Christine

Helen

Helen Report 10 Nov 2004 23:44

Like Shaz - Too Bloody much!! Have a 12 year old and 4/5 year old. Start off with a budget December 1st - goes out the window December 2nd!! Especially when Jamie the youngest keeps updating his letter to Father Christmas. This year he wants a real Tgunderbirds Rocket!! Any idea where I can get the real mccoy for £6.99!! Daughter Livvy - wants Computer, New mobile, clothes, cloethe, more clothes, makeup dvds, more clohes - need I say more. Me I just want a pamer day at a really posh Hotel in Bournemouth where I live oh and a car, diamond ring, round the world cruise, new house!! Gosh no wonder it get's expensive. By the way I have brought pressies in Jan sales along with wrapping paper etc only to mislay and have to buy again!!! Helen

Mommylonglegs

Mommylonglegs Report 10 Nov 2004 23:45

Hi Shaz. Sorry I have not been in touch lately. Have had probs with my membership. I tend to spend less on my two elder daughters that have left home and have hubby's and children. I concentrate on my three grandsons first an foremost now. But spend more on the two still at home. Son 21 and daughter 15 yrs old. Daughter gets a lot more than the son nowadays. I just feel the need to know if we are being misers or not. Jenny

*Debbie

*Debbie Report 10 Nov 2004 23:47

Dito Shaz first 4 words LOL. Love Debs.

Helen

Helen Report 10 Nov 2004 23:49

Seriously! Youngest sister and I buy for the children and just give adults a token gift. Sounds cheap but £5 on the adults - actually it can be fun trying to find a good gift for £5! Set amount's for mum and dad (Grandparents). Sister with no children spend bit more as she buys for all 4 of us. I have notice though with neices and nephews as they get older they all want money to put towards a bigger item. I don't mind but I do like going and choosing agift and wrapping it up. Envelope's with cheques and vouchers look so boring. regards Helen Once reach 18 then tends to be no more pressies.

Pat

Pat Report 10 Nov 2004 23:59

What terrible pressure all that about credit companies wanting people to overspend as usual. They really should clamp down on that. I havent started yet but i normally start end of november, beginning of December and get one at a time, I never would get my kids outlandish presents they never have had to go without either. They seem to know not to ask for the ridiculous, I am lucky both Nannies buy some clothes for them, my Mum always spends too much though. They all thought Father Christmas brought one present the Main one and Mummy and Daddy bought a smaller one, the surprise, they have never been disappointed. My eldest son is 17 now and he get half money and half presents all get the same amount, but when I can get him a part time job he will get less. Pat x

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 11 Nov 2004 00:01

Its ok Jenny :-) Its good to have you back!! I dont think you are being a miser at all.. I have also had some tight years too and once I was stupid and found myself paying for xmas well into the following year.. didnt do that again in a hurry. I told mine that once they leave home then they will get a lot less too and I have also told them all that I will be spending a set amount on each Grandchild they may present me with. I told them I will stick by my guns on that as knowing my luck they'll take after me and have loads of kids and I'll be forever bloody skint! I also told them all that whoever gives me my first Grandchild will need to accept that I will not go over the top with pressies just because I'd only have the one... because then when the others had kids they'd all be saying "well he/she got this and he/she got that" If it turns out that I only ever have the one Grandchild then they will no doubt see me as being a very very tight old Granny!! LOL Shaz x

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 11 Nov 2004 00:26

We only give pressies to immediate family members and budget for about £30 per person. Kids get the same as adults. About 10 people, I guess. Wouldn't do it though if I didn't have the ready. The others get cards and best wishes. Len