General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

flights to the US any tips on ..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 11 Nov 2004 12:52

...who to fly with/avoid, Karen

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 11 Nov 2004 12:53

Virgin and American Airlines have been FANTASTIC when I went!! American was better in my humble opinion!! :O)

Mags

Mags Report 11 Nov 2004 12:58

Air New Zealand have flights to LA (probably others but that was the one we went on) - more leg room - good food - wine on tap- kids catered for - excellent safety record. Probably expensive though, lots of cheaper flights available. I did a 27 hour flight to NZ - *****ing bricks beforehand but absolutely fine - flew home with NO valium!! Magsxx

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 11 Nov 2004 13:00

Maz OMG. i have a cousin in NZ that wants me to go out there---try the US flight first

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 11 Nov 2004 13:06

found a flight with Continental,liked this one because it was direct flight,does anyone know what they're like?

Bob

Bob Report 11 Nov 2004 13:36

I've always flown BA with no problems. Mainly because they fly my bike for free unboxed. Bob

Cougarjo

Cougarjo Report 11 Nov 2004 14:20

I've flown with most of big airlines - Delta, Continental, United etc and found all of them great. Never had a problem with any (I was a student there for 4 years so flew back and forth twice a year). Joanne

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 11 Nov 2004 14:24

karen get easy jet. its only 20p but they drop you in magaluf! then you have to row yourself across the atlantic in a dinghy! does that help??

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Nov 2004 14:26

Americans airlines are the best I've flown on, they remove one or two rows of seats so you get a bit more legroom. Virgin aren't bad either though.

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 11 Nov 2004 14:28

Paul thats great advice....... considering i'm s**t scared of flying and boats. you b****r

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Nov 2004 14:31

living in the US with family in England we have used American Airlines, BA and British Midland, all were excellent. I prefer not to use Delta. Andrea

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 11 Nov 2004 16:07

thanks everyone :-))

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Nov 2004 16:11

The only time we used American Airline the crew were abrupt and not friendly, never had a problem with BA, had a long (10 hour) delay with Monarch so tend not to fly long haul with them. Ann Glos

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 11 Nov 2004 18:30

Karen - when I fly to Florida I use BA or American Airlines - both are very good. I have found that BA generally are the only direct flights, but can be dearer. Hope you have a good trip :))

Sand

Sand Report 11 Nov 2004 19:53

Hi Karen, I've never heard anything bad about Virgin, and their seats are more comfy! However, half-way through a BA flight from New York a year ago we had a major problem with a group of incredibly nasty people (from a country which does not need to add to it's reputation for being rude!) sat near us. It culminated in the ring-leader/bully boy throwing a cup of water over my best friend. The BA on-board staff were completely useless at solving the problem, standing around like wet blankets asking us "Well what would you like us to do about it?" (My suggestion that they chuck them out of the plane was apparently against the rules). They did not even offer my friend a towel, let alone tissues, and avoided us for the rest of the flight, despite the fact that my friend could not stop crying. I was appalled and wish now that I had chased it up with a complaint. It seemed ridiculous that, in these days of air-rage, there was not a recognised policy to deal with disputes between passengers.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 11 Nov 2004 20:11

Icarus Airlines is a bit of a no-no.........

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 11 Nov 2004 20:35

Never had a problem with Virgin

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 12 Nov 2004 10:22

thanks Bob :-) the only direct flight i can get in with Continental so it looks like it'll be them. my mums neighbour has flown with BA for years but has recently changed to Virgin because she wasn't happy with BA staff, thanks everyone

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 12 Nov 2004 17:26

My friend flies with Continental a lot - they can't be too bad, he's a travel agent!! Maz. XX

Andrea

Andrea Report 12 Nov 2004 17:31

Just be aware flying with US carriers as they now charge for the alcohol, which you may need for dutch courage. BA I don't think charge yet. Andrea