General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A plumbing question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kevin

Kevin Report 11 Nov 2004 12:56

Recently our landlady had our shower fixed after months of asking. Since then we have not had cold water in up stairs. this is a bit strange because we do have it downstairs. Also our hot water comes from a combie boiler so the water is fed from the cold water tank in to it. The cold water comes straight from the tank. Anyone got any ideas because i keep calling the land lady and leaving messages and i have with held the rent and she still hasn't got back to me.

Kevin

Kevin Report 11 Nov 2004 13:07

I'll have another look for another tap but Ihave turned on all the ones that I could find.Also we have cold water downstairs.

Kevin

Kevin Report 11 Nov 2004 13:16

I 'll have atry of the one on the tank again and under the combie boiler

Christine2

Christine2 Report 11 Nov 2004 13:27

Couldn't you contact the plumber to come back again? And are you quite sure that the cold water is coming from a tank as it should come from the mains. Chrissie

Christine2

Christine2 Report 11 Nov 2004 14:32

Hi CB Yes I know what you are saying but I thought he meant that he wasn't getting any cold water upstairs i.e. from the washbasin or bath as well. I also thought that if the plumber had made a mistake he could put it right for no extra charge. I have to go now so hope he sorts it out ok. I felt sorry as he couldn't seem to get the landlady however he tried. Chrissie

Kevin

Kevin Report 11 Nov 2004 14:44

Sorry I have confused you all. The shower works fine and we have hot water in the bathroom. its the bath, sink and toilet cistern that suffer from no cold water. I have been running around for the last hour looking at the tank and pipes coming from it. will just have to hope that the land lady calls to ask where the rent is. Thanks everyone

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 11 Nov 2004 14:52

Electric showers, with a built in heater work from the cold water mains. Also shouldn't water supplying a combi boiler be direct from the mains. I own two combi boilers and they both work off the mains. Does sound like there is an inline stop valve that has been switched off. Ros

Merlin

Merlin Report 11 Nov 2004 15:01

Sounds like theres an "In line tap some where" just ring the Plumber,Its his fault and should fix it.Why did you not "Check "everything was working before he left.Hal.

Geoff

Geoff Report 11 Nov 2004 16:55

With virtually every tap that I have ever turned, turning it clockwise is a sure way NOT to get any water out of it. Still, if you know a bit about it, you're probably right! ;o)

Marie

Marie Report 11 Nov 2004 17:22

kevin my hubby is a plumber and says check the tank has the water flowing into it ,and if the tank is full there might be an air lock , better to get a plumber back to it as it needs to be blown out ,or sucked out . sorry but we are just too far away to get to you mate . !!!