General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My mouse is poorly - any technical ideas?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 11 Nov 2004 15:48

Tried removing ball, general fiddling, contemplating throwing at wall. Cannot move cursor up except by large circular movements. Why wont it go in a straight line ?? Made by E - machines and only a few months old. Any ideas ? Elaine x.

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Nov 2004 15:50

check the connection at the back of the pc, sometimes if they're loose they do this.

Pat

Pat Report 11 Nov 2004 15:54

Elaine, Im no expert on stuff but if your mouse is one with a ball inside you will need to clean it now and then. you can twist part of the underside off and check inside where the ball sits the are rollers if you check they have no dust on them. Hope that makes sense. My mouse is the cleanest thing in my house, cause I can do it while I am still on here. Pat x

Elaine

Elaine Report 11 Nov 2004 15:55

Thanks Paul, Tried but no joy, Thinking about taking whole thing apart! E x.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 11 Nov 2004 15:58

Elaine. Throw it at wall and buy an optical one Bob

Pat

Pat Report 11 Nov 2004 15:59

Bendy I bought one of those and ended up giving it to my son and went back to my old ballie one that one with the light kept freezing on me, at least my ball one doesnt do that. Pat x

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Nov 2004 16:01

I've an optical one too, no problems at all once I plugged it into the correct USB port lol

BrianW

BrianW Report 11 Nov 2004 16:02

It's not the ball that causes the problem, but the little rollers it sits on. Remove the cover, take out the ball and you will see three rollers. Use a small knife or similar to scrape off any fluff/cake crumbs and general gunge from them. Make sure you turn the rollers so they are clean all round. Shake out all debris. Replace ball and cover. Throw away your fluffy mouse mat. Hey presto.

Judy

Judy Report 11 Nov 2004 16:03

If it's not the mouse itself that is the problem, you could try checking your mouse settings. 1. Click on START 2. Click on CONTROL PANEL (or SETTINGS and then CONTROL PANEL.) 3. Scroll down to MOUSE and double click. You should now be able to change the options/settings on your mouse. Judy

Elaine

Elaine Report 11 Nov 2004 16:17

Rollers now clean - but still hates to move into upper part of screen! May just have to persevere till 27th when husband comes back.One of those little jobs that i know he loves to get his brain around ! E x.

Elaine

Elaine Report 11 Nov 2004 16:22

Baz, Cat sleeping behind pc has obviously upset him (why didnt i think of that !?) Thanks for all the ideas, off to feed children/pamper mouse . E x.

Geoff

Geoff Report 11 Nov 2004 16:47

Put a few spots of (Kitchen) cream cleanser on your mouse mat and give it a good rub. Also check that there has not been a build up of gunge on the non-slip feet under the mouse.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 11 Nov 2004 17:29

Elaine, Just a thought.........is it on ANY page? I had a similar problem last year, the pointer would only go about 1/3 way up from the bottom of the screen..........BUT if icons were above it they would highlight as if the pointer was there.it onlygot cured after we downloaded every update for windows...never found out exactly what the problem was....