General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

query please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

chezzy

chezzy Report 12 Nov 2004 12:35

hi ,as certs only go as far back as 1837 as we all know.I know information can be found from parish registers and such.would a cause of death be available this way??

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 12 Nov 2004 13:07

Cherrie I have never come accross a cause of death in the parish registers yet. I suppose if they died a strange or nasty death it might have been reported in the newpaper of the time Jeanette x

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 12 Nov 2004 13:09

Cherie, Sometimes Parish Records do give reasons for death/burial. I have a copy of Porton and Idmiston Baptisms and Burials. Most have no reason, but there are comments such as "died in childbirth with her infant" or "killed with a darte" or even the one word "plague". I think it often depends on how important the person who kept the records considered them to be. Rosemary(Essex)

chezzy

chezzy Report 12 Nov 2004 13:09

thanx anyway jeanette.didnt think it would but worth a try..think i got two rellies who died from childbirth or some complication due to having babies..both early twenties both married to the same man.just thought it was a little strange

Sandra

Sandra Report 12 Nov 2004 13:09

Cherie i have only found one cause of death so far on the parish records, age 17 kick from horse. sandra

Mary

Mary Report 12 Nov 2004 13:11

H'mm I came across and entry of death in some Parish records and underneath was written 'hanged himself'!! poor chap so as said before probably if death is nasty or different they might. Good Luck.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Nov 2004 13:22

I think it is always worth a look because it just depended on the vicar/clerk as to what was recorded. I have seen many drownings recorded locally(south coast of Kent, near a canal), sometimes with 'unknown' instead of the name but once I saw an additional comment that the man was later identified by his watch. In front of me I have parish record for Madley, Herefordshire, 1881/1882 and 2 margin comments are' Found hanging in back orchard, Jan.9. Verdict suicide' and another 'Drowned in River Wye Feb.26. Found March 19'.

chezzy

chezzy Report 12 Nov 2004 13:25

thankyou all for the imput,hopefully something will turn up.x

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 12 Nov 2004 13:51

After 1812, you are only likely to get age and address, except in rare cases. Before then, you can get a whole range. In Norfolk, they often gave both parents names or, in the case of married women, their maiden names as well as age. Some Wiltshire parishes had printed registers with spaces for age AND cause of death. Most of mine have Ann Smith buried.... and you have no idea if Ann is an infant, single or married. But you won't know if you don't look. Brenda