General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Did you have music lessons?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 12 Nov 2004 22:29

Did anyone have music lessons when young,not at school ones,and what was your music teacher like. Did you really learn anything?what instrument did you play. Dont include tissue paper over the comb.hehe. regards trish.

Patricia

Patricia Report 12 Nov 2004 22:38

My God mother used to play the chuch organ, so she taught me how to play the piano. so I could play in church. I think she was a great teacher never moaned, she taught me more than I learned at school. Pat

John

John Report 12 Nov 2004 22:41

I had piano lessons when I was younger. I'm a piano teacher now and LOVE it. I do school and private lessons. Making music is a wonderful ability. Hopefully I inspire my pupils to be creative and enjoy learning music throughout their life, both with written notation and by ear. Don't forget to practise!!

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 12 Nov 2004 22:49

Hi music people, Earlier on today I was thinking how horrible my music teacher was to me,well over 40 years ago. He was very very strict,and if I played a wrong note,he would hit me over the knuckles with a ruler,it hurt,and if I cried,he would shove a dummy in my mouth,can you imagine that happening now? I left him and went to a different music teacher,she was lovely,and learnt more in the three months,than in all the 2years with the horrid one. Needless to say,I do play the piano,and still can read and write music,but I do now play by ear. My little granddaughter can play the piano very well,and due to take further exams soon. She has a lovely and kind music teacher, so being kind goes a long way when you are a child learning. regards trish.

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 13 Nov 2004 00:33

I played cello in the school orchestra - my teacher was independent of the school - a lovely old German chap :)) Quite enjoyed it, but the worse bit was having to lug it home at the weekends to practice and then back to school again on Mondays - I had a good half hour walk to school and the cello altho small, fair out-sized lil ole me LOL.......... Oh played the recorder too - descant and treble??

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 13 Nov 2004 02:55

Hi Trish. I play Guitar ( Classical.) Never had a lesson, although i probably need it. But enjoy locking myself up in my bedroom and pretending. It's relaxing. Tony. in Oz.

Pat

Pat Report 13 Nov 2004 03:10

Nice one Joan, I was Hopeless but everyone knew it lol. Pat x

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 13 Nov 2004 23:15

I was taught to play the violin. Being a music lover I had to give it up. Len

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 14 Nov 2004 09:56

Hi People, Thanks for your replies,interesting reading, Lesley, If you are thinking of getting a violin for your husband,make sure you get a box of earplugs for yourself,hehe, it reminded me of some friends,whose little girl started to play the violin,I thought they were exagerating when talking about the noise,they werent kidding,it sounded like cats crying, Ive always wanted to play the saxophone,dont think Ill have enough puff now, think I will stick to the piano. good luck kind regards trish. P.S.The little girl gave up the violin.