General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How did your parents treat you?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Nov 2004 12:40

When you were ill in the 40s and 50s?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Nov 2004 12:45

When you were ill? Do you remember M&B tablets for high temp (no antibiotics) Syrup of figs, Zubes for sore throat or in my case my Dad used to give me butter and sugar mixed and tell me to let it slide down my throat (I liked that one) Onions boiled with brown sugar - I think for coughs and colds. Horrible tasting chocolate in a little cake for thread worms, then I used to have to eat a raw carot and drink salt water as well. If I felt sick i was given soda water - that acted by making you sick and I have never liked soda water since. Camphorated oil warmed by the fire for ear ache. For sties, a wooden spoon covered in a pad of cotton wool, dipped in water as hot as you could stand on your eye in which was disolved Boracic powder. (I think) Any more? Ann Glos

Winter Drawers Ever Near

Winter Drawers Ever Near Report 13 Nov 2004 13:25

Don't like to remeber that far back but... Syrup of Figs.. loved it. Caster Oil... no. Camphor oil in ears lovely.

**Linda

**Linda Report 13 Nov 2004 14:13

Always had cod liver oil and malt....syrup of figs.... vicks.... hot water bottle

Trish

Trish Report 13 Nov 2004 14:23

Sorry........too young to answer this question lol.

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 13 Nov 2004 14:29

"Hypol" spoon fed to us as kids in the 50s. Anyone heard of "Pencil Soaped" there must be someone who knows what "Pencil Soaped" means!! I do. Wann'a know? Tony. Oz

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Nov 2004 15:08

Anthony should we want to know? Oh yes, loved Cod liver oil and malt, like toffee. But defitiely didn't like fishy cod liver oil!! Ann Glos

Valice in

Valice in Report 13 Nov 2004 15:09

Had to stay in bed. Remember having lots of ear drops or nose drops. Head over a bowl of hot water and Vick with towel over the head. Bread & milk if tummy off colour.

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 13 Nov 2004 15:19

Well..Um, i might leave this one alone. But you wont find it on a "Google" Tony.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Nov 2004 16:23

yes I had forgotten bread and milk and golden eye ointment. I had lots of styes too. vinegar for wasp stings. Ann Glos

Howie

Howie Report 13 Nov 2004 16:53

what about goose grease rubbed on back and chest and a strip of flanellette wrapped around it those were the days that was when dotors mayed you pay. howard

Felicity

Felicity Report 13 Nov 2004 19:24

Blackcurrant tea ( a teaspoon of blackcurrant jam in hot water) for a cold was one of my Nanna's favourites. I still love it even if I haven't got a cold.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Nov 2004 19:48

Does anyone remember Snowfire for chapped and sore hands.? It was a pale green little block of a greasy wax that was held by the open fire to make it softer to rub on the skin.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 13 Nov 2004 19:56

Loads of Penidural for ear-ache, pink coloured.. and cod liver oil capsules, with haliborange and a spoonful of malt!..

Auntie Peanut

Auntie Peanut Report 13 Nov 2004 23:21

Parrishes Food?? which I used to drink through a straw (real straw too) so that it wouldn't discolour my teeth. Gwyn, I knew that the name 'Snowfire' rang a bell. I have some in our medicine chest. It's still a pale green colour, but now comes in a push-up container.