General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Medal cards from WW1.........can anyone help???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bev

Bev Report 13 Nov 2004 18:12

Can someone please clarify for me what the 'date entered therein in' is?? is it the date that the soldier went to France or the date he enlisted??? i have downloaded my gt grandfathers Medal card from the National Archive site it says Theatre of war first served in (1) france date of entry therein 14/7/1915 he was K.I.A august 1916 would it be usual for him to be over there that long???? Bev

Bev

Bev Report 13 Nov 2004 19:03

nudging cos i would really like to know the answer to this anybody????????

Len

Len Report 13 Nov 2004 19:12

Hi Bev, The date as far as I know from orevious experience is the date his entitlement to the medal commenced, ie the date he landed in france/belgium, your lucky to be able to find your gt gr.fathers card I dont even know what regiment my gr father served in, his records are in the burnt documents and non of his immediate family are alive, but I havent given up hope, THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!!!!!! Cheers Len in Gosport

Bev

Bev Report 13 Nov 2004 19:15

thanks Len would he have gone home on leave during his time there?? do you know? i do have a particular reason for asking Bev

Len

Len Report 13 Nov 2004 19:46

Bev, Yes it is possible that he had leave, but whether he took it locally or went back home would have depended on the current situation at the time ie may have been held back in reserve. With regard to your suggestion of looking in the online archives already tried that without any luck, but if you can suggest anthing else I'm all ear's Cheer's Len

Howie

Howie Report 13 Nov 2004 20:56

bev have sent you an e-mil hope it get there howard

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 13 Nov 2004 20:59

Hi Bev sorry i cant tell you, but isnt there something on the NA site that explains whats on the medal sheets? good luck Kathleen oops you lot are so quick at answering, ( my typing is sooo slow)