General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Baby Bonds

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 15 Nov 2004 13:17

Any opinions as to whether the Government should be handing out £250 or £500 to children to invest until they are 18?

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 15 Nov 2004 13:23

makes me cross. they should give the money to each child under the age of 16. Its not fair that some are getting it. Especially the ones who have just missed out. by being born a few months too early. Either give to all or not at all. Or better still, up the amount of child benifit per child. Even if the extra could be given on vouchers for shoes ect. Elaine x

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 15 Nov 2004 13:52

GB Because it an inititive for the child to save it and use it towards a pension in later life. Most people of working age have the option of investing in a pension. (even tho they cant always afford the extra) This encourages the younger generation to do this as a way of life.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 15 Nov 2004 14:28

who knows? But it should be given as a bond and not be able to be taken out before a certain time. ps how may well off parents spend their child allowance on booze & fags???

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Nov 2004 14:42

Cynical me says they think this will buy them votes. I think I was very lucky - the generations before me had no welfare state, no pension, no dole money, no benefits, left school early and had to pay for health care. I had a free education and free medical services, as well as a full grant when I went to college. The generation after me are going to be saddled with dentists' fees, student loans, pension plans and mortgages for life. nell

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 15 Nov 2004 14:43

just read some where that no one but the child can ouch it and they can't touch it till they are 18. imagine being 18 and being told you had a lump sum to spend ... what would you do with?????? i know i certainly wouldn't have invested it!!!!!! i agre with who ever said it a better way would be for the child benefit to raised, but i agree how is that fair on the childlees couples who for what ever reason don't have kids. Ourcouncil tax is goingup because our council has got a shortfall AGAIN!!!!! I personally would rather they used this moeny to benefit all and reduce the council tax for everyone