General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Headlights.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥ Katz

♥ Katz Report 18 Nov 2004 12:16

Is it just me or do more and more people go around on full beam? I seem to be getting dazzled/blinded more and more these days, maybe my eyes are getting more sensitive and I'm mistaking dipped beam for full beam or maybe it's the new model of cars with stronger bulbs? I have to admit that I've been flashed a number of times whilst on dipped beam - either they thought I was on full beam or maybe my driving was scaring them to death!! Kxx

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 18 Nov 2004 12:23

Katz I think some of the newer cars have stronger bulbs - by 15% or something. It does look as though they are on full beam and I quite often flash poeple before I realise. I think they should be banned cos I too find it very difficult to see when they're coming towards me Jeanette x

♥ Katz

♥ Katz Report 18 Nov 2004 12:34

Yes, it is nice to have more powerful lights to see where you are going but not at the expense of every motorist coming the other way! Fog lights are a real bugbear of mine, get really fed up of people having these blazing when there isn't any fog. Kxx

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Nov 2004 12:45

Ouch! One of my headlamps blew on Saturday coming back from North Wales. As I knew the lens was cracked I asked my Garage to get me a complete new one. I took my car in this morning as arranged only to be told they haven't got it yet. May not be until tomorrow afternoon. And I want to go to Exeter tomorrow to see Eldest D and the anklebiters. Wail!!!

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 18 Nov 2004 13:22

I've noticed that some of these lights seem brighter, especially on French cars (and after all the years of them using yellow lights) they also seem to be a different colour. My biggest bug bear is that especially on a day like today, very grey and pouring with rain there are still fools driving with no lights on.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 18 Nov 2004 14:49

There seems to be no happy medium. You've got one lot of idiots driving with sidelights (sometimes only 1 working) like pinpricks, and the other set with either full beam or out of alignment. Then of course those who drive with them on all day every day and those who always think it is foggy. Maz. XX

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 18 Nov 2004 17:15

I have the same problem Katz - do you wear glasses by any chance?? I find they seem to make the beams of headlights seem worse. I particularly have difficulty with the newer ones that have a blue tinge to them. Some makes of cars are worse than others too - always know when I have a Peugeot behind me cos I get blinded (no offence to anyone who drives one - not your fault :))

♥ Katz

♥ Katz Report 18 Nov 2004 17:43

Yes, I do wear glasses only for driving, they're supposed to be anti-glare - yeah right! Wish I'd never gone for the glasses, only had a very slight problem at distance, could still see ok but the glasses made things just that bit sharper - now though my distance viewing has got worse - because of the glasses!! Those lights with the blue tinge are really horrible for glare and distracting you. Kxx

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 Nov 2004 18:31

Hi, not only that moan, I have one about the drivers that park up, facing you and on your side of the road,and still leave their headlights Blazing...........you cant see any one getting out of it. also the berks that dont seem to have a working handbrake...........why DO they have to sit there in a queue with ALL their brake lights on.......and why not switch the headlights off, when you are standing. The law says you only need headlights on, when the street lighting is not adequate......and moving.

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 18 Nov 2004 18:36

Yes Bob - I hate it when sat in traffic - the brake lights are just as dazzling, especially when they have the 3rd hi-line one too.......... I keep my handbrake on - but with my foot on the brake only until another vehicle comes up behind me - just in case they hadn't notice that I have stopped lol...............

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 18 Nov 2004 18:47

Bob I have an automatic (sorry) and always sit with my foot on the brake in a jam or at lights. Only put my handbrake on if we are at a complete standstill with no sign of movement. Sorry!! Oh but I haven't got those really blinding brake lights tho - only normal ones at the sides. Maz. XX

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 18 Nov 2004 18:48

tELL ME ABOUT IT.i AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE ALL SAID.dRIVING BACK FROM dORCHESTER THE OTHER NIGHT i WAS TOTALLy DAZZLED INTO BLINDNESS BY AN ONCoMING VEHICLE.What is more HE HIT ME!! He smashed my wing mirror,and was all over the road.I suppose his eyesight was so bad he could not see unless his lights were full up.I have had a quote for my new mirror,it is £125 Thanks Mate,Just before Christmas too.- Rose Chuffed Off

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 Nov 2004 19:27

Maz, I understand what you are saying,( I dont have an auto) but some! sit there for AGES.......

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 18 Nov 2004 19:29

Rose - more like he had double-vision from too much drink?!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 Nov 2004 20:32

Bendy I usually adjust mine a bit downwards, but at MOT time the guy resets them back up........

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 Nov 2004 21:49

They have a beam setter that checks the alignment........and the dip/ main have to fall into a "window". it casts a shadow, like a sundial, pointer does...... BUT it All depends on how much loot you have in the boot..surely