General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Citations success!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 18 Nov 2004 18:41

Just to more or less finalise this issue I have received the following I quote: "An Army doctor walked into a R.E.M.E. workshop in France with an urgent request. He wanted a special attachment made which would enable a bed to be tilted quickly and easily at various angles. This was required to help a soldier badly wounded in the chest to breathe. In two hours the fitting had been designed and made. In addition further assistance was given in the shape of a cylinder of oxygen. The soldiers life was saved. In a period of three and a half months under the most difficult conditions they (the turners) have fitted hundreds of motor engines, many to three ton vehicles and have done heavy repairs to hundreds of three tonners. Bren carriers, Jeeps, Motor cycles, gun tractors, guns-6 pounder calibre and upwards, mortars and some thousands of small arms weapons of all kinds. One of the Turners mentioned in this group was Lance-Cpl. F. Carr R.E.M.E. Workshop Companies." unquote I undestand that all the turners who helped with the bed were given Citations. Needless to say I am overcome and so proud of my Uncle Fred, modest to the end he never ever mentioned any of this.

Unknown

Unknown Report 18 Nov 2004 18:43

Mary - so glad you found out the details and have shared them with us - bet you are as proud as punch :-)

Mary

Mary Report 18 Nov 2004 18:45

Unbelievably so Sheila thank you.

bridan

bridan Report 18 Nov 2004 18:49

Mary, It's so nice to come across an item like that during research, makes it all worth while. Bridget x