General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prince William's interview

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 19 Nov 2004 17:24

Has anyone else seen it? I watched it just now. Gawd that boy annoys me. 'I don't want to be wrapped in cotton wool'.... ah duh by asking the media to stay away, you are being wrapped up in cotton wool. I don't think that boy realises how good he has got it. One of my friends' mother died 7 years ago too (she's the same age as him, as am I), as did many others I'll bet. What makes him any more special? Because of the media? Well if he wants to be normal, then how do you think he'll do without the world he lives in? without much money, many possessions and people at your beck and call. Oh poor him! Chloe PS. He is good looking, probably just an arroggant arse too.

♥ Katz

♥ Katz Report 19 Nov 2004 18:22

Didn't see it but agree with what you say. I know it's shame their mother was killed but as you say plenty of others have had to go through that nightmare and don't use it as an excuse for every cock up they make. Royals - drive you round the bend! Kxx

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 19 Nov 2004 18:23

I guess you are not that keen on him then Chloe!!!! LOL Rose

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 19 Nov 2004 18:38

I've always had this love/hate relationship with the royals. I love history. I love the royal family. But in this day and age I think they're out of touch, especially the younger ones. They have no clue about what it is like to be in debt.... student loans etc. They can go to uni and not have the panic of what to do next because if you don't get a job, then you're dead (not literally). He said in the interview that he hasn't decided what he wants to do yet, and that he'll probably go travelling some more and then decide. I wish I could have done that after uni! I'm saving now, working in a crappy job, just so I can see a bit more of the world in 2006, but then I'm planning on going back to uni to train as a social worker. It's what I've always wanted to do, to see the world. He has the world at his fingertips. Does he realise how lucky he is? No, he didn't ask to be royalty, just like the beggar on the street didn't ask to be homeless..... but he's got a pretty good deal out of it in comparison to those worse off than him. Chloe

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 19 Nov 2004 18:47

He could say what he wants to say. Harry does most of the time! He chooses to have good public opinion about him instead. I'm not bitter. I just think wealth and status should be earned, and none of the royals have truly worked their way to the position they are in now.

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 19 Nov 2004 18:48

I'm not a Royalist by any means . . . . . but I agree with everything you say Maz from Cornwall ! !

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 19 Nov 2004 18:52

Money and privilege to those that have it are often the things they want less. How nice it is to walk down a street and not be known, how nice it is to open a paper turn a TV on and not see your face and the rumours about your loved ones, how nice to have freedom to act as we like, how nice it is to make a mistake and not have it examined under a micrscope for months and anaylzed to death and keep comming back to haunt you some 50 yrs later, how nice to appreciate what little we have, how nice to have space to want more , how nice to live a life and how nice just to be YOU!! I think we can't judge I feel for the homeless as much as I do Royalty poor sods!! Much happiness Debi

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 19 Nov 2004 18:53

I don't hate him. I don't hate anyone. For your information, my father has worked very hard for us to live where we are living etc. It was by no means easy and privileged. There are worse off people than me, and I help out. Don't presume to know me or my past. Perhaps that is what William thinks. But I don't see his family working hard from poverty to get to where they are. I respect his dad more than I do William. Charles has done a lot and continues to do so. Sorry if this is harsh.

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 19 Nov 2004 19:02

Bendy's right Chloe it's not a personal attack , although I'm going to add how can we presume we know what William does for charity etc? How do we know what he has overcome? I know him as much as I know you - nothing lol!!! I do wonder how he has coped with the death of his mother and how the people of the world will not let her rest in peace. To see speculation cast over the royal family, cracks between his mothers family and the rumours about them all constantly. I know I'd become depressed. Much happiness Debi

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 19 Nov 2004 19:20

Fair enough. I'm sorry for attacking back. My past is very important to me and can be a touchy subject. Maybe it's a generation thing. I don't know. I just think that people should get respect first, and the have to earn it to keep it, and to me he hasn't carried on earning it in order to keep it. Does that make sense? Oh well! Chloe

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Nov 2004 19:38

I think the problem is that the monarchy is an anachronistic idea. Years ago, you became king because you were able to kill other people who wanted to become king. Then you used your military strength and diplomacy and whatever other gifts/talents you had to keep being king and ensure that your son would inherit your kingdom. Now we elect our leaders. Nobody wants to kill the royal family so they can be king instead. They role appears to be to provide copy for newspapers and heads to stick on stamps, coins etc. Prince William doesn't have to earn in any sense of the word - not money, or respect or anything else. He is just prince by right of birth. nell