General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

booking a break in The Big Apple--any tips

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 20 Nov 2004 17:39

going to NY in May--all tip gratefully received

Carol in Rochester, New York

Carol in Rochester, New York Report 20 Nov 2004 17:45

Anything I can help you with, just let me know.

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 20 Nov 2004 18:04

Carol tell me everything.i've never been to the US so anything you can tell me will help,places to stay,places to see etc, Karen

Badger Bill, Worthing

Badger Bill, Worthing Report 20 Nov 2004 18:05

Hi Whenever we go to the States [other than a package] I do our bookings through a london company called dial-a-flight [www[.]dialaflight[.]com. Don't have their phone number to hand, but it is in the Sunday papers. You can use their web site to look up hotels where you are going, then call them to book - they do flights [scheduled not charter], car hire and hotels. They are very good, very helpful, land nine times out of ten will be cheaper than anyone else. Saved me £600 on one three week trip to California, and saved some friends £900 on a two month trip to Australia/New Zealand. Hope it helps. Best wishes Badger Bill

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 20 Nov 2004 18:10

thanks Badger Bill,i'm also going on to Medina,Ohio so i'll look them up, Thanks again, Karen

Bev

Bev Report 20 Nov 2004 18:22

yes book an extra ticket and take me you never know when you might need medical assistence and i am a nurse Bev

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 20 Nov 2004 18:25

OMG Bev don't say that i'm already s**t scared of flying!!

Bev

Bev Report 20 Nov 2004 18:27

oh i don't mind flying its falling out of the sky that scares me sorry i'm not helping am i?

Carol in Rochester, New York Report 21 Nov 2004 14:11

Hi Karen, If you,re staying in "the apple" I would advise you to stay in Manhatten....you can find some really good deals thru expedia. Also, I wouldn,t bother to rent a car as parking will be a problem. Just noticed you are going to Ohio. If you,re driving there, why not take the N.Y. thruway and stop off and see Niagara Falls on the way. You,ll pass right thru Rochester and I can always put the kettle on!. Lol

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 21 Nov 2004 14:18

Just have a great time Rose

Sand

Sand Report 21 Nov 2004 19:23

Hi Karen, I'm SOOO jealous! Would love to be going to New York again! My best tip would be don't be afraid of the subway! It's not as complicated as the London tube, despite it's reputation. Have a good portable map and you can't honestly get lost. New York is built on a grid system and dead easy to get around. Actually, my best tip should be--don't believe what people say about New Yorkers! I found them incredibly friendly and always willing to help--way more friendly than I find London or my home town in the south of England! Don't be scared to ask for help if you get lost. For bargains, 5th Ave is good. Little Italy is fab for photos--full of atmosphere. A great walk is to go to Ground Zero (if you want to see it), walk thru Battery Park City to Castle Clinton (lots of cheap souvenirs on sale here). You will round the corner to a beautiful first glimpse of the Statue of Liberty. I highly recommend a trip to Liberty Island on a sunny day--it's beautiful over there, and has a great souvenir shop. I also recommend the NYC Police Museum, near Wall Street--they have a very moving, tasteful display on 9/11. Close by here is South Street Seaport--some good shops, and close to my favourite view in NY. Pier 17 has the NY fire dept shop, plus a few others, and at the back of it is a fantastic view of Brooklyn Bridge. I can still picture us sitting there sipping coffee as the night drew in and the bridge lit up--gorgeous! Speaking of the bridge--I loved taking a subway to Brooklyn, then walking back over the bridge (but keep off the cycle path-lethal!)--fabulous views! Greenwich Village is worth a look, especially if you go to Hudson Pier. Gorgeous photo opportunities here. Speaking of gorgeous--if you are into firemen, I can recommend Ladder Ten opposite Ground Zero! A very moving sight is the engines printed with the names of all the guys they lost. The Empire state building has great views, and it is part of the NY experience. But be prepared for very strict (understandably) security, and long queues, especially at dusk. The Sky Light simulator is very worthwhile--it's the next best thing to a helicopter ride over the city. Speaking of security, it sounds obvious but whatever you do--do not joke about bombs, etc, at the airport! They are very security sensitive, and will make you remove shoes, coat, etc before scanning (they also do this before you get on the Liberty ferry & at Empire State). If they tell you not to step over a yellow line--don't question it! A friend of mine did and was almost arrested! The Chrysler Building has a beautiful lobby, and the Trump building is worth seeing--just so you can have a laugh at the tastelessness of it all! Nearby is the Rockefeller Centre, Tiffanys, and St Patrick's Cathedral. If you are there on a Saturday night, Times Square is a must-see! Great souvenirs sold round here too, and check out Toys r Us--it has a big wheel inside! Hope this isn't too much info--I could rave all day about NY! You will love it!!!x

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 21 Nov 2004 19:25

Lucky you Karen! :)

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 22 Nov 2004 01:21

Hi Karen, I'm green with envy!! I would love to go again. I'd reccommend buying a City Pass for some of the major sites, it gets you in to places like the Empire State with no queuing, cheaper to buy over here. Also as mentioned in another reply, travel by the Underground, you can buy a ticket for a week. One site you must not miss is Grand Central Station, we went there at night and it is awesome!! We booked our trip and City Pass through Expedia on line. They were very efficient and had a good range of hotels to choose from. Don't forget to walk as well, especially in Central Park, and along the streets, you see so many huge modern buildings with lovely old ones. side by side. Have I told you enough?? Eating out is great fun, especially breakfast, it's a whole new way of life. I hope you have the most amazing time, from your green friend, Sue, not Sylvia

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 22 Nov 2004 09:59

cheers everyone,so much info. Carol how long would it take to drive? Karen

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 22 Nov 2004 14:11

Take a trip over to Statten Island on the ferry . . . great views of Manhattan, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island . . . . and it's free. Go to a Broadway show - coming out of the show and into Times Square at that time of the night is just magical!!!

Carol in Rochester, New York Report 22 Nov 2004 14:18

Karen, I have sent you an email.