General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

london help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mo

mo Report 21 Nov 2004 21:41

hi I am thinking of coming to london for a wknd can anyone tell me where is the best location to stay for theatre and a bit of geneaolgy.Coming from Wales I haven't got a clue on london

Louise

Louise Report 21 Nov 2004 22:31

Maureen, It all depends on what you want to do and how much you want to pay! Most theatres are in the West End, around Leicester Square. There is also a last-minute cheap tickets kiosk in the Square, so if you haven't booked in advance you should go there to avoid rip off prices in theatre ticket agencies. For genealogy, the FRC is between Farringdon and Kings Cross but this is not the best area to stay in. Best stay nearer the West End and get bus/tube to the FRC. Hope this helps but if not try a few web sites. There are loads with places to stay in London.

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Nov 2004 22:54

hi maureen, firstly,i would suggest a mid week break,rather than a weekend...theatre tickets cheaper then,so is accomodation,transport is excellent,for instance,i live in croydon,outside of london,but its only 20mins on the train,and is much cheaper,also,the family records office may not be open at weekends,ime not sure on that......whatever you decide,enjoy your stay. bryan.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 21 Nov 2004 23:28

Glitter - Croydon?????? We do have a good railway station, but Croydon???? Where you stay might depend on what you want to look at. Travel in the rushhour can work out expensive during the week. Check the National Rail and the Transport for London websites. Coming from Croydon it takes an hour to get to Kew by train and almost as long to the FRC. Places for genealogy are: British Library at Colindale, Family Record Centre at Islington, Principal Probate Registry in High Holborn (not Saturdays), Guildhall Library, The National Archives at Kew. Always contact these places in advance: 1) to check they have what you want 2) confirm they are open 3) to find out if they require proofs of identification Wherever you stay and whatever you do, I hope you enjoy the visit. Brenda

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Nov 2004 23:35

gb, fairfield halls is supposed to have the best accoustics of any theatre in the uk. i remember when my daughter,now 23,was about ten yrs old,and was in the croydon schools choir...all parents received a letter saying...please do not wave at your child,when they are on stage...well,there was about 600 kids in the choir,and my little darling was in the front row,so i had to be a proud dad and wave,and she smiled back,and waved,the audience of about 4000,rolled up laughing,but the bosses sent me a rude letter lol. the kids sang...i want to teach the world to sing...and i dont think i have ever heard it sang better. bryan..an aries..no one tells me how to behave lol.

Winter Drawers Ever Near

Winter Drawers Ever Near Report 21 Nov 2004 23:37

Think I was there that night Bryan!

Winter Drawers Ever Near

Winter Drawers Ever Near Report 21 Nov 2004 23:40

Yes Maureen, good advice do a mid week. Lot cheaper. If u have problems give us a shout. Sure we can help.

Winter Drawers Ever Near

Winter Drawers Ever Near Report 21 Nov 2004 23:40

Sorry mummy am I getting out my pram again!

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Nov 2004 23:52

no autumn,gb,was giving me a slap for waving at my little girl,just relax,my friend,say wot you want on here,as its only tomorrows chip paper. bryan.

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Nov 2004 00:10

brenda, i do agree,croydon is not a great place to live,thats why ime going home to wales next year,but maureen is looking for somewhere close to london,to stay just a few days...and croydon/streatham/balham are ideal. bryan.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 22 Nov 2004 11:39

Sorry to butt in but i gotta agree I wouldn't stay in Croydon if i had choice!!! I only live here becuase i have no option, unlike Brian i can't escape to Wales. Cheam is much nicer more of a village still, and there the big holiday inn in Sutton ( tho I don't think Sutton is much better for visiting!!! ) but you do have a direct link to London Victoria from there. Can't remember who said it took an hour to FRC from Croydon, but I have to disagree, it takes me 26 mins on the train from East Croydon direct top Farringdon, then of course you have the 10 min walk to the frc. If you travel this way time yourself for the fast link, the Thames link !!!!

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 22 Nov 2004 11:42

And what about North London????? there must be some where nice to stay up there isn't there??? Shelli