General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just plain selfish and rude!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Nov 2004 16:34

I have been doing by research on and off now for 10 years and it is not often you come across someone that is related to you if just a little. Well a week or so back I left a message of the Trying to Find board requesting any information on a rear surname because it is always being spelt wrong. Anyway this person emailed me asking, exact words "Who are you, why are you researching this surname and in what way are you related?" Then in the next breath said if I can help give me all your information and I will see if it connects with mine. Well I was most taken aback - I replied How about I ask the questions and you answer politely, to which this person replied don't waste your time putting messages out for this surname as I will get them deleted. Well you could have knocked me down with a feather - have tried emailing this person again - emails bounce. This person obviously did not like the fact that I would not willingly part with my information and started to throw a fit - strange woman Lin

Daniel

Daniel Report 22 Nov 2004 16:35

How odd. What's the point of the person joining if that's their attitude?

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 22 Nov 2004 16:36

Thats awful! i dont understand some people! xxx

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 22 Nov 2004 16:41

Feel sorry for her; just treat her with the contempt she deserves. It's her loss, not yours by the sound of it! :-) Glenys x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Nov 2004 16:46

Lin, Ignore it, here are some funny people around aren't there? Ann Glos

Mags

Mags Report 22 Nov 2004 16:47

Hi Lin, How horrible and such a shame! Politeness costs nothing! Even if they were suspicious of your intentions (we've all heard about people that add other peoples trees to their own willy nilly) they could have been gracious enough to check their tree for one or two matches and asked a couple of pertinent questions to establish that you were genuine - why would she think otherwise? We are not all up on the etiquette of this - I know I certainly wasn't when I first came on here but I guess I have been lucky as I have only met with good humoured responses even when I've got it very wrong. At least, if the name you are researching is a rare one, you will find it easier to find stuff elsewhere on the net. I hope that person gets treated in the same way! Magsxxx

Ann

Ann Report 22 Nov 2004 16:51

How can anyone get someone else's message deleted? She does not own the surname, take no notice and carry on regardless!!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Nov 2004 17:58

Let's hope she isn't a relation Lin!!!! At least, by her attitude, if she is a relly you needen't send her a Christmas Card!! maggie

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 22 Nov 2004 18:04

How horrible, Lin. They sound rather immature.

Fairy

Fairy Report 22 Nov 2004 18:07

GC should get rid of people like this otherwise what's the point of being here in the first place? They make me so mad wasting everybodys time. Jo.

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 22 Nov 2004 18:11

What a horrible experience for you. I though the object of this site was to put on our names and try to connect with our rellies. I could be wrong of course by that persons attitude it looks like I am. Thank god most people on this site are not like that. Keep smiling it's her loss not yours. Good hunting Pat

Joy

Joy Report 22 Nov 2004 21:28

At the end of the page, you will read "If you wish to report any abuse of the system please contact our abuse manager and we will quickly remove the offensive material" - in this situation, I would report the matter to the abuse manager. That is what he / she is there for. Joy