General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parochial relief??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

chezzy

chezzy Report 22 Nov 2004 21:48

does anyone know what the above is?? i read it after one of my rellies names on some census info i received from a friend.curious now.thanx

Joy

Joy Report 22 Nov 2004 21:50

parish relief - rather like in modern day terms getting benefit. Someone in my family was living with his granddaughter, and she was being given his parish relief to look after him. Joy

chezzy

chezzy Report 22 Nov 2004 21:51

ah so thats what it is..thanks joy,it had me puzzled for a while.xx

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 22 Nov 2004 21:51

If you couldn't support yourself, and were a pauper, you might be in receipt of support from the parish. This was extremely unfortunate for you, but it may help your descendent as you will appear in Poor Law records. Brenda