General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What is the furthest any of you have gone back on

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 23 Nov 2004 21:42

I have gone back to 1699 on one branch but hope to go back even further in time. How far have any of you got back then?

Simon

Simon Report 23 Nov 2004 21:48

I've got one branch back to 1400 and another to 1490 - quite how conclusive they both are I wouldn't like to say, but it looks good when the chart is printed off ! If we could get all our branches back to that sort of date there would be over 500,000 in that last generation !

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 23 Nov 2004 21:53

We are all distantly related to each other. Imagine knowing every single 15xgreat grandparent names.

Joy

Joy Report 23 Nov 2004 21:54

Personally, to the late 1700s - through the research of others, to the early 1600s. However, to me, the interest is not how far I can go back in time, but learning about how they lived - what they did for a living - placing them in history and geography, what the education was like, that sort of thing. :) Joy

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Nov 2004 22:06

1650 is my earliest.

JG70

JG70 Report 23 Nov 2004 22:15

The 1550's at one branch, 1600's another, most at least 1700's - but sod all with a couple (stuck at 1836 with one as illegitimate, likewise stuck at 1814 for another for the same reason). On my husband's father's side were stuck at 1966 - because we don't know who he is/was!!! I agree it's the depth and quality of the tree sooner than a thin branch winding back years - to me you have to know every branch and shoot. Jacquie

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Nov 2004 22:17

1785 but have not actually verified this one at a records office. I need to check the parish register. Ann Glos

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 24 Nov 2004 06:56

Hi, My earliest one was born around 1500. The name is quite rare - Manclark/e. There are much earlier ones in the same area and I'm working my way through wills trying to make the link. Gwynne