General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer problem. Any advice?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 25 Nov 2004 11:26

Not being a computer whizz, please can anyone tell me how I alter my screen so I can see the whole of a page? At the moment on my screen I can see as far as the R in TRYING. It really is irritating to have to constantly scroll backwards and forwards. Rosemary(Essex)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 25 Nov 2004 11:36

Hullo, try your screen settings page,right click on your basic screen, click properties...........click settings.........you should get then, what your screen is set to, ie, colour depth, and screen size.........you should only need something like 16 bit colour, and maybe 1078 x(700. something) pixels, changing those numbers will alter how much screen you get..........is it normal, by the way on other sites/? Bob.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 25 Nov 2004 11:38

Glitter Baby, where do you people get " View?" I am on aol and dont seem to have that word at all......... Bob Right Gb.....

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 25 Nov 2004 11:52

Thanks Glitter Baby, I tried that and it did not solve the problem. Must have inadvertantly touched something else as now the screen appears longer and I have symbols for favourites print etc. and no bar with view, edit, tools etc above it! I think I'd better go and hibernate! Rosemary(Essex)

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 25 Nov 2004 11:58

Bob, Thank you for that. I'll have a go. Size of screen is out on all sites, esp web mail page on Tesco net whiof which I now get the top quarter since they altered it earlier this week. Rosemary(Essex)

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 25 Nov 2004 15:11

Rosemary, perhaps you have inadvertently "dragged" the window on your screen out of position? If so, you can "drag" it back into position by letting your cursor hover over the horizontal or vertical dividing lines on the page you are viewing and whilst holding the mouse down, move the page over. Also do you have a little e (internet explorer) logo positioned on an earmarked piece of paper, in the very top left hand corner of your screen? If so click on this and then onto the "move" option, this will also allow you to move the page over. It may be that if you have a box displaying Favourites or History on the left hand side of your screen it is taking up too much space and therefore pushing the rest of the viewable screen over too far...you can use the drag or move option to rectify this. Or opt not to have the favourites/history box on view by going to the x in the top right of the box and closing it down. Dee x

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 25 Nov 2004 18:07

Thank you Dee, I'll have another try! I followed some of Bob's instructions but my computer is obviously different from his. The whole thing siezed up and i had to switch off. Have just come back on and nothing is any better as yet. Rosemary

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 25 Nov 2004 18:18

Rosemary hunny, even running AOL you're Pc won't be different. With all your internet pages closed right click your mouse on the DESKTOP screen, go to properties, then click the settings tab. Have a look at what setting your screen is in. Is it 600 x 800 if so can you change it to 1024 x 768 by sliding the bar across.Thats what Bob was trying to explain :) Sioux