General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What are the best Family Tree Programmes?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nanna Gaynor  (June nr Preston's Daughter)

Nanna Gaynor (June nr Preston's Daughter) Report 25 Nov 2004 16:50

At the moment I use PAF5 from LDS which does the job. If I was to buy an off the shelf programme which would you recommend and why?.................... Would I be able to export / import my current tree as a gedcom file?..... :-)

Minnehik

Minnehik Report 25 Nov 2004 17:03

I have used Broderbund Family Tree Maker for years. The latest edition is FTM 2005. I have never had any problems and you can export your gedcoms, including a privatized version for uploading to a web site. You can import any gedcom file and it makes it easy to check gedcoms you download from other sources such as LDS. It is easy to use and gives many versions of different trees to print, you can include photos in a scrapbook or even write your own history book. It gives you different options for reports, ie what to include, who to include, how many generations etc.

Val :~)   from West Wirral

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 25 Nov 2004 23:31

Sorry to sound as thick as I am Gaynor But can you explain what is meant by Gedcom, PAF5 and LDS Maybe I shouldn't be reading other peoples threads!! IGNORANT or what?! Val

Nanna Gaynor  (June nr Preston's Daughter)

Nanna Gaynor (June nr Preston's Daughter) Report 26 Nov 2004 10:52

I'm not really a techie but a Gedcom is the type of programme used to store your Family History information (I think) PAF5 is Personal Ancestry File and 5 is the latest edition. LDS is Latter Day Saints - that's the site where you can down load it from for free...... :-) ......... I have heard that Family Tree Maker is good aswell so I think I might give that one a go. :-) Gaynor x

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 26 Nov 2004 11:22

Thank you Gaynor from an ignoramous!!!! Will need to read more about starting my tree!! If I should buy any of these, PAF5 etc. can you tell me, do I buy on net, or are there shops that sell all this very interesting stuff? Any suggestions?! Val

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 26 Nov 2004 11:41

Hi Gaynor. I use "GENERATIONS FAMILY TREE" Version 8.0 UK by Sierra. Its an oldie but its a great Family tree program. Even tells you when ya gunna die. lol (Just jokin) 1.It works out everthing for you, 1st cousin one removed, ect. 2.Imports file forms from other Genealogy programs 3. Lets you add Audio and Video clips into your family tree program. e.g Grandkids. 4. It hold up to 350 million names ( if ever.) 5. Prints out beatiful Family tree charts. ( which you can design. ) 6. Edits,move, add or delete boxes and branches of your tree. 7. Colour codes Male/female boxes. ( if you like ) 8. Create's Decendant chart or Ancestor Chart. 9. If your a smoker it tells you appox life expectancy ( female - Male ) a bit of fun to scare your children. lol 10. Adds Family tree Graphics, boarders and backgrounds. 11. Prints customised reports, lists, and Index's. 12. Lets you add Photo's. ect,ect,ect. 11 c.d set It lets you set your tree the way you want it, Hourglass, Cascading, Left to right or right to left, Waterfall, It's a goodin. Tony Oz.

Philip

Philip Report 26 Nov 2004 11:56

Hi Gaynor, I use UFT's Family Tree version 4. I've tried earlier versions of this prog in the past and haven't liked it, as there were software problems. However, they seem to have ironed all these out , and it now works extremely smoothly. Their website is: www[.]gsp[.]cc Version 4 does all the usual things, handles gedcom files for uploading to GC/R and other websites etc. I can't comment on other progs, never having tried them, so can't compare. Anyway, good luck! Philip

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Nov 2004 12:07

I too use Personal Ancestry File version 5 (PAF5), which can be downloaded free of charge from the LDS (Church of Latterday Saints ie the mormons, ie www(.)familysearch(.)com ) website. I stress FREE OF CHARGE. It's always done everything I needed it to do, so haven't tried any of the others as yet. NB GEDCOM is the "industry standard" file format for genealogical data. Virtually all the family tree programmes (and many websites like this one) will accept data in this format so that you can transfer from one programme to another.

Joy

Joy Report 26 Nov 2004 13:05

PAF is very good. We were fortunate enough to buy a family history magazine a few years ago when it had a free CD with it that had the UFT (ultimate family tree) software on it. Joy

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 26 Nov 2004 14:31

I'm using FTM V10, have had no problems with it. One of the best features is (and I know some other programs do it as well) the ability to export to PDF this makes emailing information very easy. TWR computing usually the cheapest. dreamdirect(.)co(.)uk are also doing it.

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 26 Nov 2004 14:49

Hi Paul Can you tell me how you get on to LDS to download this free of charge site. Please explain from the begining, step by step what I need to do!!!! Dumbo or what!!!! Thanks to you in advance Off to do school run now, back at 4-30 and will come straight back on, to see, if I'm clever enough!!!! Val

Jan

Jan Report 26 Nov 2004 14:58

I've just got Family Tree Maker 2005, also recommended by several people and I am really pleased with it. I even find it easy to use and I'm definitely a bit of a techno-turkey. Only problem I do have is with their search facility. They could refine it with a few more drop down options. That would save hours of searching the globe for someone in the UK. Jan