General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Spoonerisms....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 27 Nov 2004 19:45

.....for those of you who don't know what the heck that means I'll explain. Spoonerism is the transposition of one or more consonants preceding a vowel. Give me 5 minutes and I'll show you a couple of examples...

Brian

Brian Report 27 Nov 2004 19:48

"A cat flap" becomes "a flat cap", "Our dear old Queen"...."Our queer old Dean" Got the idea? Now here's one for you to do.... "He's a real smart feller!" Feel free to add your own............. :-O

Brian

Brian Report 27 Nov 2004 19:51

Oi, Sue, I told you to wait 5 minutes...........

Christine2

Christine2 Report 27 Nov 2004 19:53

A hyperdeemic nurdle

Brian

Brian Report 27 Nov 2004 19:56

OK, sweetheart, I'll forgive you this time... ;-x)

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 27 Nov 2004 19:58

Brian, is that what they're called. I unintentionally do this all the time, especially with peoples names. Like Mank Harvin (Hank Marvin) or Harryl Danna (actress Darryl Hannah) and that's when I'm sober, it's worse when I've a drink in me. Christine

Brian

Brian Report 27 Nov 2004 20:00

Heaven forbid, Christine, I dread to think!! Brian, x

Bob

Bob Report 27 Nov 2004 20:29

A lack of pies nosey little cook

Brian

Brian Report 28 Nov 2004 11:28

Nudge

Fairy

Fairy Report 28 Nov 2004 12:03

I used to know a Brian Spooner, funnily enough, What about a batt flattery, or pop of the tops? Jo.

Joan

Joan Report 28 Nov 2004 12:11

we have a couple of friends called Kenny and Sonya I always call Sonny and Kenya!

Macbev

Macbev Report 28 Nov 2004 17:57

Who was the pollie who called another pollie "a shining wit" as an example of spoonerisms?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Nov 2004 18:20

Not a Spoonerism but I have a friend who always says 'neck bottle' instead of 'bottle neck' Ann Glos

Tracy

Tracy Report 28 Nov 2004 18:22

Pheasent Plucker?

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Nov 2004 18:24

Young Dooley has invented the new game of rushing out through a doorway just as one of us is about to come in. I think his new nickname is Cooking Fat!

Tracy

Tracy Report 28 Nov 2004 18:43

Oh Brian i hope ive inspired you lol

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 28 Nov 2004 21:20

LOL - this reminded me of when my Mum got confused - I told her that at work we were having a BUCKS FIZZ breakfast ............. she repeated it to someone but reversed the first letter of the words :P :O

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 28 Nov 2004 21:37

A mucking fuddle!