General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 28 Nov 2004 18:23

I have been xmas shopping today for 2 youngest grandson's pressies. Callum age 5 wanted an Army Tank with soldiers, Had a look on web sites for toy shops all the well known ones. Visited 3 toy shops asked for Army Tanks with soldiers. Reply was Sorry we are not doing Army Tanks this year,they have been taken off the list of boys toys because it is not politically correct to sell them. But they are still selling Action men with guns,Guns and all other military toys. Why just take tanks off and not other military toys. Sue

Mags

Mags Report 28 Nov 2004 18:37

As you say - Political Correctness gone absolutely bonkers! I am sick to death of other people deciding what's 'allowable'. I have no objection to any decision being made before we become used to having certain things around - but anyone that interferes in the status quo in the belief that they are being politically correct makes my blood boil! Toys are an area that puzzles me. I can remember having a cap gun and shooting indians dead and being shot in return by a sucker tipped arrow - but I have never, nor even thought of ever, killing anyone or even pointing a weapon at them! While we are on the subject - has anyone noticed just how few black dolls there are around? And I can't remember ever seeing a baby doll that was Asian in origin. Isn't THAT just being a teensy bit politically incorrect too? Or doesn't that matter as much to the lobbyists? Are black and asian children expected to play with white 'babies'? Magsx

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 28 Nov 2004 18:54

Ive still got my black doll, her name is Topsy. Connie plays with her now E x

Felicity

Felicity Report 28 Nov 2004 19:18

When I was a small girl we lived for a time in Uganda. For my 7th birthday I dearly wanted a black doll and against the advice of her friends my mother got me one. Everyone had claimed that Africans would be most upset and that it would be an 'insult'. My mother maintained that they would not be so stupid, that I was just a little girl who wanted a doll that looked like some of the people surrounding her. In fact, all we white children were looked after by 'ayahs' and they were all enchanted by the fact that I wanted a black doll. I was the talk of the neighbourhood for months, and had to take my doll everywhere with me to show them!

Bob

Bob Report 28 Nov 2004 19:20

There is no need to worry, as next year the goverment are banning Santa so I've heard. He is to old. to fat and to white.

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Nov 2004 19:21

Elaine, I had a Topsy too!! Mags, you can get dolls of every ethnic origin in school supplies catalogues, and they are also extremely anatomically accurate LOL! But I haven't seen them in shops neither can you buy golliwogs any more. Mandy :)

Sue

Sue Report 28 Nov 2004 19:26

How wonderful to hear of another black doll called Boko. That was the name of mine, I'm told she was named after a surviving siamese twin. Must have been in the 50's Sue

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 28 Nov 2004 19:32

I had a black doll when I was little(many moons ago). When I wanted another one back in 1993/1994 couldn't get one anywhere. Went on holiday to Majorca found black doll in a shop over there and bought the doll. When we were getting on the coach to leave for the airport the Rep told me that I would have to pack it in my case because in England they may confiscate it. But I carried her all the way on the plane and through the airport at Leeds nobody said anything but I got a few funny looks. Still got that doll to this day and won't part with her. Sue

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 28 Nov 2004 19:38

I remember those little story books we had in the school library, Little Black Sambo, shouldn't think you can get them now, I also had a lovely golliwog, with a red jacket and stripey trousers, wish I'd kept him!..

Saints Alive

Saints Alive Report 28 Nov 2004 19:53

You think that is bad !! how about Mr Wright who is try ing to claim compensation from the parents who's son he killed in his car due to the trauma he's been through.

Jan

Jan Report 28 Nov 2004 20:09

No Twizz that's disgusting. The g**'s obviously real sorry then.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 28 Nov 2004 20:11

Twizz, I cant believe that a lawyer would take that case on? Christine, wasnt he the little chap that couldnt say his words propery?

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 28 Nov 2004 21:01

Oh Mandy and Christine, tch tch, how could you use the word golliwog? lol. I've been told off for using that word before, for goodness sake!! No, really I have. That's why it's such a touchy subject for me. I used to have one as a child, and I still remember him fondly. That aside, Twizz - that's disgraceful. That Mr Wright knows darn well he's Mr Wrong. The judge should throw the case out, and jail the scum for time-wasting (or extend the sentence if he's already there) Glenys.

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Nov 2004 21:06

When I was a kid I used to have all the Gollywog badges AND the stickers off Hartley's Jam. I am 64 now and have a widely multi-racial circle of friends. Will someone please put that in their PC Pipe and smoke it in the House of Commons Restaurant.

Peter

Peter Report 28 Nov 2004 21:11

Next they will be telling us we can only bye straight bananas. Oh hang on they have. Will it be wrong for me to tell Jewish jokes as The half of me that is'nt jewish might get offended

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 28 Nov 2004 21:11

Grampa Jim, me too, but what WAS the connection between hartleys, and using a golliwog as an emblem? Bob

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Nov 2004 22:16

I bought a doll in Tenerife for my Grandaughter for christmas, the doll's 'skin' is very light brown, not white and not black, sort of Asian coloured. She knows a lot of black, brown and otherwise children as at her 'big' brother's school the classes are multi racial. Ann glos