General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Top of the Pops is moving!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 29 Nov 2004 14:44

Monday November 29, 01:04 PM Top of the Pops leaves BBC1 You won't be able to watch Ronan Keating and Busted on BBC1 for much longer. Top of the Pops is being axed from the channel after 40 years, it has been announced. The show will move to BBC2 after ratings slumped to less than three million despite a make-or-break revamp last year. The new-look Top of the Pops will move from Fridays to a Sunday evening slot. It will combine elements of Top of the Pops 2 and include archive performances alongside current chart acts. BBC bosses hope the mix will boost audiences by attracting older viewers. Explaining the move, BBC director of television Jana Bennett said: "In the changing world of music and television, Top of the Pops will find a stronger home on BBC2 in its new format. "I believe moving to BBC2 and adapting to a more diverse audience of music lovers is the right evolution for the programme." BBC2 controller Roly Keating said his channel would provide a "natural home" for the show. What do you think? I haven't watched it for years!

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Nov 2004 14:48

I wondered how long it would be before they shifted TotP from BBC1. After all, they need that valuable peak time slot for another home improvement/cooking/car boot sale type programme don't they ?

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 29 Nov 2004 14:49

The Friday night show is awful now. Even my teenage daughter says so!! I hope they don't do anything to TOP2 though as that is good and I enjoy that as it is all the old stuff. Jacky :-) a golden oldie.

Andy

Andy Report 29 Nov 2004 14:49

me neither John, the singles chart have had no influence on my music buying since my teens, I would say.

John

John Report 29 Nov 2004 14:50

Or perhaps a cheap to produce quiz or chat show.

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Nov 2004 14:56

TotP is rubbish mainly, but we have to remember it's primarily aimed at the teenage market, and always has been, since they buy the most singles. I think it's a damn shame that the BBC can't provide any decent music programmes in peak time, although saying that I think "Later" is great too !

Andy

Andy Report 29 Nov 2004 15:16

the dwindling audiences have probably got more to do with the fact you can listen to songs online and/or download tunes rather than apathy with the singles market.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Nov 2004 15:34

No great loss as far as I am concerned, nothing llike it used to be. Ann Glos