General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

is calling it xmas wrong?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 1 Dec 2004 12:35

i know some people think calling it xmas is wrong. according to a mag i read this month though, greek for christ is actually X or close to it so its not non-christian. what dya think?

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Dec 2004 12:36

I will still use both

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 1 Dec 2004 12:37

not really religious, so it dont really bother me hun xx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Dec 2004 12:38

Hi Paul I have never liked the shortening to Xmas, but that is probably purely personal or learnt from my Mother who actually did think it was wrong to 'take the christ out of christmas'. In these days of texts and shortening everything I don't see any reason to worry about it really. Ann Glos

Joy

Joy Report 1 Dec 2004 12:40

Not wrong - a personal preference, I believe. My sister told me she didn't like Christmas shortened to Xmas. I think of it as X (Christ) being in Xmas. :) Joy

Zoe

Zoe Report 1 Dec 2004 12:42

some people think it was originally used as a way of denigrating the christian festival. That "Christmas" in its whole truly represented the celebration of the birth of Christ By replacing the word Christ with a X its a sneaky way of saying the celebration is for the cross and therefore the death of Christ Personally I think if you're in a hurry and wanna write xmas then so be it - I doubt many people read it as Ex Mass or Cross Mass but still automatically read it as Christmas so its fine

Geoff

Geoff Report 1 Dec 2004 13:08

The Greek letter X (chi, pronounced "ky") has been used as an abbreviation for "Christ" since Roman times.

Lisa

Lisa Report 1 Dec 2004 13:10

how about crimbo paul.a proper crimbo (bo selecta)xxxxxx(:

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 1 Dec 2004 13:12

personally i'm not keen on xmas. not for religious reasons or anything coz i call it crimble! ha ha x

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 1 Dec 2004 13:13

to be honest...when i talk i say christams, in texts or on here i just use xmas, and only cos its quicker! xx

John

John Report 1 Dec 2004 13:14

I prefer Christmas. Xmas is certainly much better than Chrimbo! Anyway, X in Greek is Ch for us. So Christos is Christ.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 1 Dec 2004 13:25

As writers of parish registers abbreviate Christopher to Xopher, xmas can hardly be regarded as unchristian (or should that be unxian?) I'll continue to use Xmas as I'm lazy. As it's the season of goodwill, I'd try not to use it to anyone offended by it, unless they've really wound me up! Brenda

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Dec 2004 13:26

I have seen Christopher spelt as Xpher in Parish registers, so it would seem to be acceptable. But what about Crimbo?

Lisa

Lisa Report 1 Dec 2004 13:26

what rhubarb and crimblexxxxxxxxxxxx(:

Martin

Martin Report 1 Dec 2004 13:43

As there seems to be very little relationship with Christmas/Xmas (or what ever you like to call it) to any form of religion these days I don't think it matters what it's called. How about "Santa Day"! Martin

Fairy

Fairy Report 1 Dec 2004 14:52

Yes, I don't like the word Xmas, it seems almost pagen. Christmas is only five more letters. Jo.

Jack (Sahara)

Jack (Sahara) Report 1 Dec 2004 15:03

I agree with Steph, Christmas when speaking or writing but Xmas for texting.

Gerry

Gerry Report 1 Dec 2004 15:23

Xmas always seems a lazy way of writing Christmas. Having said that, I often find myself doing the "X" thing and wish I didn't. Guess I am lazy! LOL

John

John Report 2 Dec 2004 03:10

XMAS - This popular abbreviation is a combination of X, the first letter of the Greek name for Christ (transliterated into the Roman alphabet as Khristos), and mas, a shortened form of the word mass. Thus, Xmas literally means "the mass of Christ". While the word Christmas can be traced to 1038, the shortened version has been in use only since the 14th century. Some people object to the abbreviation because they feel Christ's full name should be attached to the holiday celebration of his birth. The first two Greek letters in Khristos (chi and rho) can be written as XP, and are often used as a symbol or emblem for Christ. Now you know - but here's something WINDOWS XP is on most new computers so I wonder if Bill Gates is a Christian by showing the symbol for Christ so the world can see?