General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need the words please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Winter Drawers Ever Near

Winter Drawers Ever Near Report 1 Dec 2004 22:33

In the bleak mid Winter......

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 1 Dec 2004 23:11

In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan, ......

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 1 Dec 2004 23:29

Thanks Joy - my favourite carol. Maz. XX

Joy

Joy Report 2 Dec 2004 09:32

You're welcome. One of my favourites, too. :) Joy

☼♥Missy

☼♥Missy Report 2 Dec 2004 09:50

I love that carol. Another fave, which I can't remember the words of, is Let all mortal flesh. Elfx

Joy

Joy Report 2 Dec 2004 09:58

Here you go, then I must get back to work ! :-) Joy ........................................................... Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence Words: Liturgy of St. James, 4th Century; Translated from Greek to English by Gerard Moultrie, 1864. Music: "Picardy," French carol melody MIDI / Noteworthy Composer Meter: 8 7 8 7 1. Let all mortal flesh keep silence, And with fear and trembling stand; Ponder nothing earthly minded, For with blessing in His hand, Christ our God to earth descendeth, Our full homage to demand. 2. King of kings, yet born of Mary, As of old on earth He stood, Lord of lords, in human vesture, In the body and the blood; He will give to all the faithful His own self for heavenly food. 3. Rank on rank the host of heaven Spreads its vanguard on the way, As the Light of light descendeth From the realms of endless day, That the powers of hell may vanish As the darkness clears away. 4. At His feet the six winged seraph, Cherubim with sleepless eye, Veil their faces to the presence, As with ceaseless voice they cry: Alleluia, Alleluia Alleluia, Lord Most High! We are accustomed to these words and music being matched together, as they have been since the English Hymnal of 1906, but each has their own ancient, independent origins. The music and text was first joined together by Ralph Vaughn Williams and is one of 27 hymns in The Hymnal 1982 arranged or composed by Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872-1958). The "Cherubic Hymn" (text) is from the 4th century Liturgy of St. James and was chanted at the presentation of the bread and wine at the Offertory. It is still used in this fashion by Orthodox Christians in Jerusalem on the Sunday after Christmas. The tune Picardy is a French carol, coming from an oral tradition and probably dating from the 17th century and is named after the region in France where it might have originated. The earliest written appearance of this melody was entitled "The Ballad of Jesus Christ" in the early 19th century and is also found in Chansons Populaires des Provinces de France (1860). This tune has a dual personality, depending on the tempo at which it is sung. When it is sung slowly it is powerful, somber and dignified. When it is sung at a faster tempo, the mood changes to fierceness. Source: Martin Olson and Editor