General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ANSWERING EMAIL

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 2 Dec 2004 08:29

Just a little moan. i was recently asked about a member in my tree. i replied to the man saying that the person he was enquiring about lived in a different area to his. Today i recieved a stroppy email asking me why i hadnt put the area on this sight then he wouldnt have wasted his time asdking me about that person. I havent got a full and perfect tree and some information isn't on there yet. If someone emails me i give them as much info as i know. We are all in the same boat trying to find our ancestors. All i'm asking is that if someone only has a bit of info give them a break don't be stroppy with them give them a THANK YOU. sue

PolperroPrincess

PolperroPrincess Report 2 Dec 2004 08:59

How awful that someone was stroppy!! I am new to this and have appreciated every little bit of info that I have been given. Quite a few people gave me names and dates that are not connected with my family but at least I have been able to elliminate them from my tree and now know where not to look. So to everyone that has helped along the way and replied to my questions/requests then Thank You Bev

Ian

Ian Report 2 Dec 2004 09:23

A very similar thing happened to my wife. She was contacted by someone who refused to make their identity known to her, therefore she refused access to her tree. The person became very stroppy (maybe the same person!!). The thing that upset her the most was that this pers was entering her close family members and my wife on their own family tree without the permission of my wife or family. This non relation bacame even more nasty when she pointed this out. It is very difficult, my wife and myself both try and help where we can, we have offered look ups and other types of help. Unfortunately there is always one who has to spoil an otherwise very pleasant exprience. Keep your chin up and don't let it get you down. There are many, many great people on this site and you have every right to safeguard your hard work when you think it necessary. Best wishes with the tree Ian

Ian

Ian Report 2 Dec 2004 12:32

Carole No she didn't have to. She let him know of the rules. Obviously a newbie, who couldn't be bothered to look before leaping. After she had informed the person of this they went uber stroppy. In the end she told him she was sick of the stupidity and not to e-mail anymore, also let the newbie know that she was quite aware of how much of a beginer he was and gave him a web address to try!!!! Not heard from the plank since!!!!! Ian

Joy

Joy Report 2 Dec 2004 12:50

Ian - I had a similar problem with someone on this site! It left me feeling really awful for ages, and thus the reason for only my name and my husband's name on this site now. Joy

Belinda

Belinda Report 2 Dec 2004 12:56

Well what gets me is people NOT replying to emails that I've sent. Very nice polite emails and I get no reply. Its not too much to string a few words together - whether they can help me or not - surely? Just out of courtesy? I would do the same. Does this happen a lot or is it just me??

Joy

Joy Report 2 Dec 2004 13:04

Belinda, Certainly happened to me - asked GR to check the person was registered okay - yes! Tried again, and again - nothing!!! Joy

Ian

Ian Report 2 Dec 2004 13:12

Joy My wife wasn't too happy about it, couldn't stop talking about what a plank he was!!!! But she did feel awful and thought maybe she had done something wrong. After all there is no relationship between my wife and the plank. Put it down to experience. She won't be entertaining sharing her tree with anyone unless they can identify a genuine relationship. Ian

Susan

Susan Report 2 Dec 2004 15:10

thank you for all your replies it made me feel better that i was not the only one who got the stroppy people. i love this sight but this morning i felt really low. you have all made me cheer up. thanks again all you friendly lot. sue

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 2 Dec 2004 15:25

Hi I agree with it being a pain when people do not bother to answer e-mails i have despratley been trying to get some one to answer one of mine also agree that there is no need to get stroppy with anyone that dose not help anybody all the best and happy hunting to everyone Lorraine

Threegolds

Threegolds Report 2 Dec 2004 15:43

I recently had a positive match(or so i believe) and in my enthusiasum have added them to my tree. on reading this thread I have now deleted them and will ask for permission to add them as I did'nt know this was in the rules! I hope I hav'nt upset anyone in this process, and I think newbies like me should be grateful for all the help we get I know I am!

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 2 Dec 2004 16:10

I would not have got half the informtion I have if it wasn't for the helpfulness of others on this site. I always ensure I reply with a personal reply, even if their enquiry is nothing to do with one of my rellys. I too have had someone though that wont reply to me but has sent me a request to look at my tree! On the whole, most people on this site are great and helpful and long may it last! Jingle

Donna

Donna Report 2 Dec 2004 16:36

i think it was terrible the way some of you have been treated there is no need for people to be rude to other people and it does not take to long to send a reply even if they are not related, i have also contacted somebody and all they was bothered about was looking at my tree because i would,nt they never replyed, and sometimes if you have a oppinion on these messages boards you seem to upset somebody any way all i can say is keep your chin up and perhaps some day you might find the right person kind regards donna

Jan

Jan Report 2 Dec 2004 17:02

I agree with an earlier response. How glad you must be that this idiot is not a relative of yours. He's probably sitting at home on his butt flying off e-mails in the hope that he can fill his tree with other people's hard work. What a cheek. I'm like you I don't have all the information I'd like either, I just enter what I have to that point. It's hard work and it really gives you a boost when you find a connection or someone can help you. I'm grateful to loads of people for information that's helped me. I hope I've done the same in return. Don't worry about the "plank" haha. If he takes that attitude with everybody he'll not get far will he. Happy hunting. Jan

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 2 Dec 2004 20:32

Hi, Susan. Sorry to hear of your experience. Luckily, I haven't had that experience, most people I've come across have been really nice. Oh Gawd, hope that's not tempting fate, lol! And Ian, as somebody else said, as far as Mrs Ian is concerned, her information is that plank's loss! Glenys x

Joy

Joy Report 2 Dec 2004 21:27

Ian - the person with whom I had a problem showed me that the said person was actually researching my close family even though we are not related!! :( Joy