General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SEA CADETS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PolperroPrincess

PolperroPrincess Report 2 Dec 2004 12:46

Have been reading the various threads about teenagers these days...bullying, vandalism, assault and everything else and I admit it really upset me to think this is our next generation. I have a 12yr old son and it scares me to think he could be like that. At the moment he has joined the sea cadets which I think will be the making of him. He is not a bad lad (i hope) but I think he needs the exttra discipline that the sea cadets and other organisations offer. He thoroughly enjoys it and as well as having fun he is also learning something. For 1.50 a night, 3 hrs a night and twice a week I think it is money well spent. At least I know he is not hanging around street corners doing God knows what. They also have weekends and week long exercises so he gets to see alot of different places and mixes with others his age and older with the same interests

Sandra

Sandra Report 2 Dec 2004 12:52

Bev i think this is half the problem kids get bored, i sent my kids to different clubs and i agree it teaches them self respect and discipline, i would like to see national service brought back in for both sexes, that would sort out alot of the kids that aren't so lucky to have been taught certain morals. sandra

PolperroPrincess

PolperroPrincess Report 2 Dec 2004 13:01

I think national service or even joining something like the sea cadets should be compulsory because these days the kids are not only bored to death like you say but there doesnt seem to be any respect off them. We would have been terrified at their age to behave like they do because not only would we have had a clout off one of the neighbours, teachers or whoever but we couldnt expect any sympathy when we got home because you could guarantee you would have had another clout off your parents for behaving like that in the first place. Anyway Im getting off my soap box now.

PolperroPrincess

PolperroPrincess Report 2 Dec 2004 13:03

Mandy that is really sad. So our kids are trying to do something constructive and because of other youths they get penalised. Thats really bad

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Dec 2004 15:51

Any of the organised youth organisations are excellent for kids. My eldest 3 grandchildren went to Boys Brigade for several years but unfortunately the leader dies and they disbanded the group. Now they go to Water polo once a week and are in the team. Youngest grandson goes to cubs (he's 8 I think that is the right division) he has just 'gone up' from Beavers where he did very well with his badges. he also goes swimming once a week and phoned me last night to tell me he had just swam 400 metres for the next badge. I am so proud of them all for not hanging around street corners. Ann Glos