General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Calligraphy.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 3 Dec 2004 16:16

As a lover of beautiful penmanship,I have often wondered what will happen in the future,for example all the old fashioned ledgers that were written in copperplate style writing,finding love letters in a loft,all beautifully written,wont be quite the same,if done by modern technology.e.g. typewriters,p.c.All the lovely coloured inks.Out of interest,does anyone still handwrite letters these days.regards trish. P.S.At least we all will be able to read the writing on any census taken.

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 3 Dec 2004 16:31

When I was in Junior school (1981 - 1985), we had to learn to write in italic with proper ink pens. I love writing with an ink pen and have got my special one to do my Christmas cards.

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 3 Dec 2004 16:35

I love to write with an ink pen and have done calligraphy since at senior school. I am often asked to write menus, wedding invitations, place cards, albums etc... for friends and family. I enjoy making the effort but it does take time. Viv

Daniel

Daniel Report 3 Dec 2004 16:36

I've not got the neatest of writing. Thank God for word processers. I sometimes wish some of the people who have written back to me about the family tree would type it. Can be VERY difficult to understand.

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 3 Dec 2004 16:38

The main thing is time,to sit and write,unfortunately,I seem to spend a lot of my time reading all the interesting threads,my family tree has taken a back seat,must admit though,love writing my Christmas cards with special pen and different coloured inks. trish xxx

Winter Drawers Ever Near

Winter Drawers Ever Near Report 3 Dec 2004 16:42

Oh Trish, you brought back memories. When at school in the sixties I won the handwriting certificate for four years in a row. My parents are lovely wirters and my brothers. Teaching grandson now, bought a calig set. .Daughteres also have nice writing.

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 3 Dec 2004 16:47

Hi Winter, Thats what I mean about in years to come about handwriting,records etc,cards,ledgers,I guess it is all about time,a lot of skills are now being lost with new techno,Im all for progress,but it is a shame that so many skills are being left behind. trish.

Fairy

Fairy Report 3 Dec 2004 16:52

Years ago I went to evening classes for calligraphy. I'm glad I did. I even got a job doing it and still use it for Christmas cards.

Sandra

Sandra Report 3 Dec 2004 17:19

i too like to see beautiful handwriting, and mine is awful, with todays technology, i very rarely write letters, as an email is so much quicker. My sister uses italic writing and it is lovely. i have tried calligraphy but i am just to messy, i will have to practice a bit more sandra.

Karen

Karen Report 4 Dec 2004 03:32

nudge me for tomorrow ok

PolperroPrincess

PolperroPrincess Report 4 Dec 2004 03:35

Love the style of writing..unfortunately I always ended up with more ink on me than I did on the paper