General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Baa Humbug

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Winter Drawers Ever Near

Winter Drawers Ever Near Report 4 Dec 2004 17:02

While I like to see houses lit up with nice Xmas lights does anyone agree that some are very OTT. They must cost a fortune and it has taken hours to put them up. We've also had a few accidents with drivers slowing down to look at them. I'm going to be boring but still have money in my pocket by putting up a nice tree at the front with lights on the windows and another tree in another room. That will take me long enough and I won't end up suffering form exhaustion. Ba humbug.....

Bec

Bec Report 4 Dec 2004 17:06

You should see this house in my town!!! He has 3 x 3 metre high inflatables About 20 other illuminations 6 sets of lights! lol

Bec

Bec Report 4 Dec 2004 17:14

Am not really going to decorate my flat even though its my first christmas in my own home. Instead I shall have my Mr. Potato Head dressed as father Christmas on my window sill! I'm on the 1st floor so noone will see him but I will and thats what counts!! becx

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 4 Dec 2004 17:16

I think if people have pleasure putting them up, and others get pleasure from looking at them, as do my kids & me lol, Let them have em. If people are going to have an accident by looking at lights and not the road then they shouldnt be behind the wheel in the first place. As for danger of fire, you have more risk putting a few lights on your tree. As long as youre sensible , use safe lights (not years old ones) and have a smoke alarm, i think you are safe enough. Elaine x

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 4 Dec 2004 17:17

We have a couple that lives 5 mins from me in a side street and they decorate the outside of their house every year. Santa claus on chimney,reindeers on roof,lights all over the walls and their garden has a decorated tree.snow men on pretend snow. They do this every year and when people come to see the house the couple have a bucket outside and they collect for childrens charities. It does take them hours to do but they enjoy putting all the lights and figures up and they know that people will bring their children to see it all. It gives so much pleasure to the children who come to see it and benefits childrens charities as well. As they do not live on a main road it does not hurt anyone. Sue

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 4 Dec 2004 17:20

I wouldn't do it myself, but it always makes me smile when I see someone who has gone to a lot of trouble - even if some of them are a bit OTT!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Dec 2004 18:15

We live in a cul de sac and today have put up a string of lights around the outside of the house, small rope lights, a train in one window, the wheels appear to move and smoke comes out of the chimney (again rope lights) and an angel in another window (the latter upstairs -no through traffic). In the kitchen window which is in the front we have advent candles (the arch of 7) and white lights round the window. And I think it looks pretty. our tree is in the longe which is in the back and can't be seen from the road. our conservatory which is also in the back is a grotto of lights, mainly done fro the ladd next door, the grandchildren for new year (And for me becaise I love them.) Ann Glos