General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

funny how it hits you!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Dec 2004 22:00

ime usually fine about being single,as i like myself,and i like my company...but today,when xmas shopping for the kids,it was all too much..the lights,the xmas carols,couples holding hands,and i thought the kids should have presents chose by mum and dad,not by just me.....does xmas affect you?

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 4 Dec 2004 22:05

Bryan - I think that Christmas can really heighten feelings, good and bad. Those who are lonely often feel even more so, those who are happy get caught up in it all. It can be a very hard time for some. Take care and look after yourself, Sheila x

Joy

Joy Report 4 Dec 2004 22:07

Yes, Bryan. Christmas shopping today for my brother's family ... wishing we could shop for and see Christopher's grandchildren so far away across the sea, and for his daughter who, although in this country, she cannot see us or receive anything from us because of her OCD related mental illness. Joy

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 4 Dec 2004 22:11

Had a weepy moment this morning whilst doing some christmas shopping at the local market and the town where I was born. Thought to my self how much my Mum would have loved looking round the town and the market as its very festive. She passed away last year. Viv

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Dec 2004 22:13

my eldest daughter,and myself are both working xmas day,and boxing day....now ime feeling guilty the youngest one will be on her own,although shes 19..i dont know! bryan.

Joy

Joy Report 4 Dec 2004 22:28

Bryan - would it help her to be somewhere doing voluntary work helping others on Christmas Day ? or not? Joy

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 4 Dec 2004 22:40

Bryan No what your saying and where you are coming from. I felt just the same when I was christmas shopping for the daughters/grandchildren the other day. But I look at it this way,we all miss our partners/wives/husbands but we must all go on and get on with life. That is the only way I can get through christmas. Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Dec 2004 22:51

well,we all have a story to tell,its really interesting. joy,agree with you but...my eldest is a newly qualified nurse,and she suggested to her sister,that she could help out,in the childrens ward...wont tell you her answer! bendy,dont think george,could be any happier,than he is now! thank you everyone. bryan.

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 4 Dec 2004 23:06

hiya bryan my friend how are you

Mags

Mags Report 4 Dec 2004 23:12

Hello Bryan, You have your children and you are doing your best for them. I am sure that they appreciate what you are doing and whether their presents have been bought by one or both parents won't be the first thing they think about. Christmas is a difficult time and one where emotions can go into overdrive and it's quite understandable to feel the way that you do. Has your younger daughter got a friend with a family that she could spend Christmas with? That at least would help you feel less like you are letting her down. I shall be spending Christmas with family and will, no doubt, have a wonderful time but that still didn't stop my emotions taking over when my son rang from NZ for ideas as to what to buy everybody. When it came to my turn I said jokingly that he could wrap himself up and send home. Suddenly out of the blue my head decided that that wasn't funny at all and I bawled my eyes out over the phone. So, yes, it's a very emotional time when someone won't be with us for Christmas whatever the reason. I hope that you will have a great time despite being single Big hug with mistletoe Magsxx

Felicity

Felicity Report 4 Dec 2004 23:17

Bless you, Bryan, I'll be thinking of you.

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Dec 2004 23:23

too many best wishes to thank you all. paul,that is really hard on you,perhaps in time to come,you can arrange xmas visitation,its your right my friend!! bryan.