General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Translations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

eline

eline Report 5 Dec 2004 15:40

Am looking for the translation of Mr Mrs Miss in as many languages as possible for my grandaughters project. Jackie

Geoff

Geoff Report 5 Dec 2004 15:43

Herr, Frau, Fraulein (with " over the a in fraulein) - Germany (PS: Frau rhymes with "cow", fraulein with "boyline")

eline

eline Report 5 Dec 2004 15:46

Cheers Geoff. Didn't know Frau. Anymore out there. Turkish, Chineze etc. etc. Regards, Jackie

syljo

syljo Report 5 Dec 2004 15:54

Dutch Juffrouw - miss Mevrouw - mrs meneer - mr

eline

eline Report 5 Dec 2004 16:07

Thank you Sylvia. That's a great help. Jackie

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 5 Dec 2004 16:09

Portuguese Senhor, Sr. = Mr Senhora, Sra. = Mrs

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 5 Dec 2004 16:15

senor..mr senora..mrs senorita...miss Spanish monsieur..mr madam...mrs mademoiselle...miss French

eline

eline Report 5 Dec 2004 16:30

Thankyou Christine & Roz. This is great. Keep them coming in. Jackie

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Dec 2004 16:31

Can anyone translate it into Canadian American New Zealand Australian? Lol jim

Brian

Brian Report 5 Dec 2004 16:34

Hi Jackie, Those two little dots over the vowel that Geoff mentioned: it's called an umlaut. Really looks like.. but above the vowel, not on the line as I've put it (can't be done properly on here, probably can on a German typewriter). Brian, ;-x)

Geoff

Geoff Report 5 Dec 2004 17:48

fräulein - is that better? (You hold down the Alt key, type 132, then release the Alt key and you get "ä")

PolperroPrincess

PolperroPrincess Report 5 Dec 2004 17:53

Why dont you try on google! They had loads when my son was doing a similar project

PolperroPrincess

PolperroPrincess Report 5 Dec 2004 18:05

CHINESE:- Mr. = Encik followed by first name, Mrs = Puan (pronounced poo-ahn), Miss = Cik (pronounced chik) Hope this helps Bev

eline

eline Report 6 Dec 2004 18:01

Thank you ALL very much. You have all been a very great help. Jackie. Still can't do that with Fraulien.

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 6 Dec 2004 18:08

fräulein - like that? italian signor signora french monsieur Madame madamessle (can't rember how to spell it propaly)

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 6 Dec 2004 18:10

also the spanish has accents on the n señor & señora & señorita russian = сэр, = sir госпожа - madam - i think norweign herr, madam