General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Would like a consensus of opinion please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine2

Christine2 Report 11 Dec 2004 16:41

I don't want to start an argument but I would love to have a general opinion on this. Last week some friends who are devout born again Christians sent me a birthday card. It had a nun on it standing in the woods. In front of her was a man wearing a dirty beige raincoat which he was holding wide open (obviously flashing) and the caption read "now I know there is a god". Inside they had written "this was the only religous card we could find". Do you think this is odd or are they trying to tell me that they can still have a sense of humour about such things? If this thread offends anybody PLEASE let me know and I will remove it immediately. I just wanted to know other peoples opinion and whatever they are I respect them fully. Chrissie

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Dec 2004 16:42

Personally I found this very funny. But then I am an agnostic! nell

John

John Report 11 Dec 2004 16:44

Hi Chrissie, I'm one of those dbacs as you put it. I wouldn't send a card like that to anyone, but only because my humour is more subtle. Do they go on about God and stuff to you then? :-)

helenbell

helenbell Report 11 Dec 2004 16:46

I think it was sent in inocence, they saw the nun and just thought it was suitable Bless them Love Helenxx

Donna

Donna Report 11 Dec 2004 16:46

i would have thought they was trying to tell you that they had still got a sense of humour , kind regards donna p.s i don't know why your message would insult any one i guess you have to be carefull with everything you put on the board .

Daniel

Daniel Report 11 Dec 2004 16:48

What's the big deal if they were Christians or whatever. It a card from one person to another. They're just like everbody else.

Christine2

Christine2 Report 11 Dec 2004 16:49

Thanks all John - It's difficult to explain really. They just talk to everyone as though they take it for granted that everyone holds the same opinions and I suppose they do bring it up in most conversations. Hubby and I both have different opinions anyway but we have never said anything to give away what we believe. Hubby thought the card was hilarious and although I am definately no prude and in some ways I found it funny, it also made me feel a bit uncomfortable too and I don't really know why. Chrissie

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 11 Dec 2004 16:51

The mate were staying with over xmas is a born again christian he likes nothing better than a pint and a dirty joke. He's Human.....and so are they... Elaine x

Christine2

Christine2 Report 11 Dec 2004 16:54

I perhaps should also add that I felt the same when a crowd of us went to a new years eve fancy dress party some years ago. They went as a nun with short skirt and fishnets and a priest at the front and half naked at the back.:))

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Dec 2004 16:55

Hi Chrissie, this opinion is sent in the spirit which you asked for - my honest one! We are practising Christians (but don't foist our views on anyone else) but also like to think that God gave us a sense of humour. Personally, I wouldn't have sent a card that was quite so raunchy, just a little over the top to me without wishing to sound stuffy. Funnily enough, a similar thought went through our minds this morning; we received a Christmas card from some practising Catholic friends of ours, which we felt went slightly over the mark. It had a photo of a baby sat up in his highchair, with his face scrunched up and that caption 'Bloody Sprouts'. I wasn't keen on using a swear word on a Christmas card. This doesn't mean that I'm against swearing - far from it - and I'm certainly not offended, either by your birthday card or my Christmas card. Just felt they were both perhaps a little 'inappropriate'. Mandy :)

Christine2

Christine2 Report 11 Dec 2004 16:57

Thanks again everyone. Lynda - on reflection I have to admit that I did think it was funny. I think I just felt guilty for thinking it was funny. Does that make any sense???

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Dec 2004 16:59

just harmless fun chrissie, they have a good sense of humour. bryan.

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Dec 2004 17:03

But your feeling guilty about finding it funny is more about what YOU believe rather than them, surely? I can see that you might not have chosen to send such a card to them. But personally, some of the most prudish people I know are non-believers, and the biggest ravers I met at college were Catholics and Quakers. nell

Christine2

Christine2 Report 11 Dec 2004 17:06

Thanks so much everybody. I love a naughty joke if it's funny and have decided that I need to lighten up:))))) Alan - Thanks Chrissie x