General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

hospital HELP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Dec 2004 22:40

My mum is in hospital after having a stroke. I am finding it really hard coping with it. She is unable to care for herself at the moment and has to rely on the nurses with all of her personal care. Mum is unable to talk properly and gets her yes and no sometimes mixed up.She can not walk and has lost the use of her right arm with her left side has been left weak. She has to have help with her eating and drinking and is unable to go to the toilet She has been in 3 different hospital's now and i have not been very happy with her personal care. I have found her crying in frustration at having to wait until a nurse is free to help change her as she has messed herself again. i seem to be complaining alot to the nurses about the the way they look after her. Is it me or am i just being silly.

Winter Drawers Ever Near

Winter Drawers Ever Near Report 11 Dec 2004 22:48

No you are not being silly in complaining. Your mother is a human being who has been struck down by illness. She should get the utmost respect, attention and care. If you don't think that is happening then scream blue bloody murder at them. My friend had this happen and she herself had been a nurse. She went absolutely ballistic. Threatened to contact the newspapers. They soon got their arses in gear. They don't like bad publicity.

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Dec 2004 22:49

thanks for your support

Wifey

Wifey Report 11 Dec 2004 22:51

Hi Andrea, If you are not happy with the standard of care that your mum is recieving, then I think you are quite within your rights to complain. After all, if they don't know know it's not up to scratch, they can't put it right unless someone points it out to them. I really feel for both you and your mum. My thoughts are with you both. Best wishes Paula xx

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 11 Dec 2004 22:57

Andrea So sorry to hear about your mum,no it's not you love. Has your mum had a physiotherapist to help her with getting her arms/legs exercised to make her muscles stronger. When my late husband had a stroke the physio asked me to get some soft balls so he could hold them in his hands and squeeze them.got soft balls from Poundstretcher 4 for a £1. Ask the doctors when your mum is going to start physio to help her. Hugs to you and your mum Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Dec 2004 22:59

andrea,ime so sorry,to hear about your mother,and i hope she makes a good recovery,but it does take time...you havent given her age,so its hard to say more. nurses work long hours,and are overworked,and underpayed,considering they are professionals,and well qualified. the ..new charter..will put more responsibilities onto nurses,they know only to well,that they can go to the states,and earn big money,as the americans realise,just how good our nurses are....but most stay here,as its not the money that keep them motivated. please feel free to email me,about your mother,with more detail,and i will do my best to help you. best wishes to your mother....bryan.

Andrea

Andrea Report 11 Dec 2004 22:59

thanks all for advice and help