General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Early 20th Cen language

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 12 Dec 2004 22:03

Did people really talk the way they're doing on Miss Marple? That's a jolly good idea. Frightfully ingenious dear chum blah blah blah?

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Dec 2004 22:05

Air hellair Daniel! Jolly hockey sticks and what-ho!! Mandy :)

Daniel

Daniel Report 12 Dec 2004 22:06

Indeed madam indeed. Shall we take tea?

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Dec 2004 22:07

cant stop old bean , toodle pip heheh

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Dec 2004 22:08

And fancy walking along the beach in a bowler hat!

Daniel

Daniel Report 12 Dec 2004 22:08

Oh of corrrrrrrrse of corrrrrrrse. Oh how on earth did that slip my mind. It's a jolly spiffing game which I am sure you all agree.

Daniel

Daniel Report 12 Dec 2004 22:09

Ah wait there Mandy. I have pic of my cousin posing for the camera in a rain coat and hat on a beach in Australia. 1940's Madness!

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Dec 2004 22:21

Only if one went to the right school, y'know. Jolly topping! In my family, we knew our place, guv. nell

Geoff

Geoff Report 12 Dec 2004 23:03

I often wonder when I see a 19th century costume drama - did they really talk posh like that? I can accept the words they use, as that's the way it is in novels, but was it really "received pronunciation" whether in Yorkshire or Cornwall?

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Dec 2004 23:06

Geoff I think it highly unlikely, especially as they didn't have BBC with announcers wearing bowties to tell them how to say things proper like. I believe George Orwell made some remarks about this in his long essay on Dickens - that the hero of "Hard Times" although working class Lancashire, spoke without a trace of an accent, and that what really made David Copperfield angry about Uriah Heep is that he dropped his aitches. nell

Geoff

Geoff Report 12 Dec 2004 23:28

Nell There is an overview of RP here: http://www.yaelf.*com/rp.shtml On a slightly different tack, I looked at the GR photopages last night - please tell me you were wearing a short, dark wig for the photo, or one of life's fantasies will be forever shattered!

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 13 Dec 2004 00:19

My Grandparents, both born at the turn of the century and both from working-class northern backgrounds spoke properly, with upperclass accents. Where they learned to do this, or why, I do not know. I can remember being told off as a child for using "slang" - something like "jolly good show". (If they could hear me now!!!!) My Grandfather gave me a lecture on the importance of speaking properly, saying that sloppy speech and regional accents meant that people from other parts of the country, or even other parts of the world, might not understand you. I have never entirely agreed with this, however I have noticed that some TV announcers have pronounced regional accents which drive me mad! In answer to the question, yes, I think many people did speak like this in the early years after the war, even if it was only in public, probably lapsing into their normal way of speaking in private.

Simon

Simon Report 13 Dec 2004 10:16

Just checked the 1881 census and there are 135 Featherstonehaughs and around 20 Cholmondely's. I wonder how long it took their descendents to change to Fanshaw and Chumley (and how many Featherstonehaughs still exist today) ? Can anyone remember the Two Ronnies sketch when he was trying to buy a pair of 'Brine Trysers' - absolute classic !

Simon

Simon Report 13 Dec 2004 10:19

I have a feeling it was also the Two Ronnies that had a sketch about going to the 'Rose and Cryne public Hyse but having to leave as it was full of lytes - lots of lytes, shiting abite' !