General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Link between heavy PC use and Glaucoma.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

stumigs@sgrboards.org

[email protected] Report 13 Dec 2004 15:15

Just read this,

stumigs@sgrboards.org

[email protected] Report 13 Dec 2004 15:16

Researchers at a Japanese university have produced the first reliable evidence of a link between heavy computer usage and the onset of the eye disease glaucoma in short-sighted people. The Toho University School of Medicine found that `intensive` computer users who are already short-sighted are 87% more likely to develop the, disease, which can ultimately lead to blindness. The reseachers suggested that the optic nerve in myopic people may be more susceptible to damage and that this is exacerbated by computer usage. Copied from Computer Shopper Feb 2005. Just think nearly easter!

Lisa

Lisa Report 13 Dec 2004 17:41

i heard that aswell.not on the computer as much now.xxxx(:

stumigs@sgrboards.org

[email protected] Report 13 Dec 2004 17:43

I think a visor would help a bit, the main thing which is recommended is to take a regular break away from the screen, e.g. go and have a cuppa away from the screen every so often. I think it should be about 15 mins every hour! (or its something similar) Stu

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 13 Dec 2004 22:56

Thanks for that. There is glaucoma in my family and my eye pressures are already high. Off for a break now. Viv

*Debbie

*Debbie Report 13 Dec 2004 23:01

Thanks for that Stujust when you are enjoying your selves some thing comes along and ruins it LOL LINDA my hubby is thinking of having Laser any thing he should check out for? Debs.

Mommylonglegs

Mommylonglegs Report 13 Dec 2004 23:25

Thanks for a great thread. It is certainly worrying. I can sometimes sit at the PC for three hours without a break, have half an hour off, only to be back on for another three hours. I would imagine all those that have to use a PC for work have been told about resting every now and again, i.e. Company policy etc. I got my very first Pc not quiet 2yrs ago. Never knew how to turn on on at that time. So I have never been warned about this kind of thing. But i must add, if I have been on for a few hours in the evening, I find it VERY hard to settle off to sleep once in bed. My brain is so active it just stops me from dropping off to sleep. Does anyone else find they have this problem after being on a Pc late at night? Jenny.

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Dec 2004 23:36

can i suggest,that underneath your monitor,we all have a control panel...just setting the contrast down a little will help. but two hours on,15mins off,seems a good idea,but so does sunlight,and most of us enjoy that. bryan...see you in specsavers lol.

Mommylonglegs

Mommylonglegs Report 13 Dec 2004 23:39

Glitter Baby----- Stu.----- I came off PC around midnight last night absolutley shattered. Clock watched till just turned 2am. I think our brains are just not shutting down when they should. My mum is nearly 80 and thrives on doing very hard crosswords all day long. She says it keeps her brain active. Just what are we doing? Jenny

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Dec 2004 00:03

jenny,your mother is a very wise lady...light exercise,sensible diet,and whatever keeps the brain active. i wish her many years of life,she sounds like a great lady. bryan.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Dec 2004 00:17

love your specs mareen,remind me of the..milky bar kid lol.. god i wish we had smilies on this board!! bryan.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Dec 2004 12:56

I sit at a pc on and off for 3 days a week at work, then of course again quite a bit at home. Was waking with very puffy eyes and headaches round them, so off I went to SpecSavers lol. Apparently I'm longsighted, which is ok when you're reading etc, because you can position the text where it's most comfortable. But when you're sat at a fixed screen, that's when your eye muscles have to work overtime. I now need glasses for pc work but .... aaaaaargh ..... it coincided with reaching 40, so not a happy bunny, just as bespectacled one :(((( Mandy x