General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any quick cures for a bad cough and cold

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 17 Dec 2004 13:23

Feeling dreadful and at that stage where I'm feeling sorry for myself. Coughing, sneezing first I'm hot then cold. What are your favorite remedies PLEASE Pat

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 17 Dec 2004 13:32

spin round 3 times, jump over a broomstick, kiss a frog, then down a bottle of brandy. or something! hope it goes and lets you enjoy the 25th!

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 17 Dec 2004 13:35

Day nurse is pretty good, but if you got trouble at night use night nurse! xx

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 17 Dec 2004 14:34

Paul No energy to jump the broomstick, hate frogs but the brandy sounds good to me. Pat Like the whisky and brandy Princess of course Day nurse, fancy you knowing that, I thought you were the best person to ask advice on a hangover cure LOL So here goes this is what I will do. Have the brandy now Take the day nurse then before I go to bed Hot bath 2 aspirin and the whisky. I figure this will either work or I won't care. Thank you all Pat

Merlin

Merlin Report 17 Dec 2004 14:40

Two Large Glasses of Malt Whisky,Hot water bottle,and Bed.If it does,nt cure it,you can be happy with it. Hal.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 17 Dec 2004 15:14

Plenty of hot drinks eg orange/lemon/blackurrant squashes. Avoid too much tea & coffee as this will act as a diuretic. Paracetamal every 4 hours. Make sure you check if you take cold remedies as these often contain parecetamal and must not be taken with ordinary paracetamal (overdose! ) Few inches of steam in a bowl or ideally a sink. A towell over head, breathe in steam. Wear layers,and dont get yourself too hot, overheat and youll feel worse. Elaine x

Brenda

Brenda Report 17 Dec 2004 15:25

hi i have always heard that chicken soup is one of the best things going for a cold. even better home made. brenda sniff

Gordon

Gordon Report 17 Dec 2004 15:48

You lot really are the tops not only do you come up with remedies but cheer me up. Sound advice from some of you esp the heat. Turned up the radiators and now feel worse. so off they go. Donna Amputation sounds drastic (LOL)especially as half the time my husband reckons I go around like a headless chicken (spring of course) most of the time. I'm off to get some chicken soup it should help to soak up the brandy. Bless you all Pat

Lily

Lily Report 17 Dec 2004 16:30

At last coming to the end of mine, had to go to docs after 8 days as all organs neck/throat swollen and inflamed, two days of antibiotics have sorted me, just got to get rid of catarrh. Pat, if you think it's more than a cold, get to the docs pronto - must be well for Christmas! I tried all the remedies (apart from zinc to repair immune system) and it just got worse.......must be a bad virus about

Sillius

Sillius Report 17 Dec 2004 16:35

Hot lemonade and honey does it for me.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 17 Dec 2004 20:45

When ever I get a cold etc. I eat an onion sandwich (just bread and raw onions) and go to bed with a hot water bottle and an extra duvet and sweat it out. Normally only lasts for a day. Hope you feel better soon Liz

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 17 Dec 2004 21:08

a good cough bottle from boots is simple about a £1

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 17 Dec 2004 23:28

I always will remember Dr Charles Hill intoning: "if you catch a cold and do nothing about it, it will last two weeks. But if you keep in the warm, take paracetamol four times a day, and have a hot toddy at night, you can get rid of it in a fortnight. Personally, I do not catch colds as I am aware that alcohol is lethal to germs. Len

Lily

Lily Report 18 Dec 2004 10:01

Patricia - hope you're feeling better today