General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Favourite Christmas song

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andy

Andy Report 17 Dec 2004 16:15

Andy

Andy Report 17 Dec 2004 16:15

A bittersweet ballad awash in drink, drugs and regret was voted Britons' favourite Christmas song in a poll released yesterday. The Pogues' Fairytale of New York was selected by British viewers of music channel VH1, beating standards including Bing Crosby's White Christmas. Opening with the line "It was Christmas Eve, babe, in the drunk tank," the song features Pogues singer Shane MacGowan and the late Kirsty MacColl swapping insults in a foul-mouthed but ultimately tender tale of enduring love. A British hit on its release in 1987, the song garnered almost a quarter of the 10,000 votes cast in the on-line poll. Band Aid's 1984 charity single Do They Know It's Christmas? came second in the poll. This year's remake of the song was in fifth place. The Top 10: 1. Fairytale of New York, The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl, 1987; 2. Do They Know It's Christmas? Band Aid, 1984; 3. Last Christmas, Wham!, 1984; 4. Merry Xmas Everybody, Slade, 1973; 5. Do They Know It's Christmas? Band Aid, 2004; 6. All I Want for Christmas Is You, Mariah Carey, 1994; 7. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day, Wizzard, 1973; 8. White Christmas, Bing Crosby, 1977; 9. Happy Xmas (War Is Over), John Lennon, 1972; 10. Stay Another Day, East 17, 1994.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 17 Dec 2004 16:20

No way! Slade or Wizzard should have been number 1! Jeanette x

Andy

Andy Report 17 Dec 2004 16:26

Hehe, it would've been my choice had I voted. What's more worrying is that Band Aid 2004 as well as Mariah Carey are in the Top 10. Eh, what's going on there? I would have had "Thank God It's Christmas" by Queen in there.

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 17 Dec 2004 16:29

oh i luv both the number one and two choices .................... probaly shows my age

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 17 Dec 2004 16:30

It must have either been youngsters who voted or poeple with extremely bad taste! lol Jeanette x

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 17 Dec 2004 16:32

oh thanx .................... lol each to there own .................

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 17 Dec 2004 16:39

my fav of all time though is Silent Night, Holy Night by Sinead o` Connor

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 17 Dec 2004 17:16

Lou I am assumming you are a very young person :-)))))))))lol Jeanette x

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 17 Dec 2004 17:22

jeanette uv met me so u know im not young ..................... lol

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 17 Dec 2004 17:25

BBC London radio did a small poll today and the top 3 were: 1. The Pogues feat. Kirsty McColl "A Fairytale in New York" 2. The Waitresses "Christmas Wrapping" 3. Bing Crosby "White Christmas"

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 17 Dec 2004 17:28

Oh that Lou! lol. If I had a brain I'd be dangerous! I don't actually mind the Pogues song myself I just can't understand what they're singing. Not so much fun if you can't sing along. But the Live Aid 2004 one is terrible.

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 17 Dec 2004 17:33

jeanette not to keen on live aid 2004 version but got it anyway as its for charity if u want the words to the pogues song then go on this thread as they r on there frank skinner....discusting interview!! paul (cheeky chunky monkey) posted them :-)

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 17 Dec 2004 17:43

I'll make sure I learn them Lou then I'll be able to sing along. I'm sure everyone I know will be real pleased! lol

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 17 Dec 2004 17:45

well they have already got me singing along to it so they`ll cope with u too lol