General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help, was depressed b4 but now its even worse!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 17 Dec 2004 19:26

Just got home and found a letter from my doctor saying my recent smear showed minor changes. I really don't need this so close to Christmas, I'm really worried, what does it mean? And its Friday so can't phone till Monday. Anxious Lisa

Bec

Bec Report 17 Dec 2004 19:31

Lisa please try not to worry. I'm sure if it was something serious you'd be asked back to the surgery and your doctor would have spoken to you face-to-face. Please try and be calm, I know it's easier said than done but get yourself sick with worry will not help. I'm sending you all my love becx

Josette

Josette Report 17 Dec 2004 19:32

Lisa dont worry, I've had to have repeat smears done because of changes. It isn't unusal Im told Jo xx

Sandra

Sandra Report 17 Dec 2004 19:33

Lisa don't worry, my daughter was 16 when this happened to her, they keep a check on it and she had hers lasered and is now 27.and no reoccurence of funny cells sandra

Mags

Mags Report 17 Dec 2004 19:34

Hello Lisa, Please try not to worry - easily said from someone that burst into tears when they had the same message 27 years ago! This is probably what they call displasia (?sp) - where some of the cells - instead of laying smoothly and evenly are a bit 'rough'. I had a course of treatment and have had no 'wonky' smears or any other trouble since. When you are ready I have some really funny stories about my experience - mail me! Big Hug! Magsxx

Tracy

Tracy Report 17 Dec 2004 19:35

Hi Lisa, Please don't worry, I had the same result when I was in my early 20's, the Doctor will just like to keep an eye on it and you will probaby end up going back for smears every 6 months or so. Mine came back clear after about 2 more smears and I went back to having the normal 3 yearly one and they have always been alright since and I'm nearly 39! Please don't worry. Take care Tracy Jayne

♥ Katz

♥ Katz Report 17 Dec 2004 19:49

Hi Lisa, like everyone else has said, it is scary at the time to get a result like this. Like the others I also had an abnormal result when I was 17. I had to go for a proceedure, not sure what it was called, but they snipped a little bit off - sounds horrible but didn't hurt at all - worst part was when consultant invited 3 students to come and have a look (yeah no probs mate - why don't you invite the janitor as well!!!!). Result of that was fine, had yearly smears for a while - all normal results and then back to every 3 years smears. Try not to worry (I know easier said than done) All the best. Kxx

Lisa

Lisa Report 17 Dec 2004 20:04

It was just such a shock opening the letter. When I went for the wretched thing the nurse was saying, "oh you're very healthy, you don't smoke thats good, the longer you have one with no changes the less likely you are to have any problems" so I stupidly thought, yeah, yeah walk in the park, no problem, it'll be another negative one. How wrong could you be! Thanks for all your thoughts Lisa x

Lisa

Lisa Report 17 Dec 2004 20:36

lisa could be anything .don't think the worst as it probebly isn't.i had that and i had to have another test done and it came back normalxxxx(:

Maria

Maria Report 17 Dec 2004 20:41

The same thing happened to me on my very first smear. I had a cone biopsy done and have been fine since. Went on to have two more healthy babies, that was 18 years ago and I am still well. Please dont worry. I know its easier said than done but I am sure everything will be alright. Have a Lovely xmas. Maria

Yvette

Yvette Report 17 Dec 2004 21:50

Hi Lisa As every one has said its more than likely something simple.......i have many friends who have had the same thing happen and its always been ok, however i was one of the 'unlucky' ones if you like, and mine was a bit more serious. I disagree though, as through having a call back on my smear 9 years ago (this week actually!) i had a colposcopy that showed i was in need of an extensive cone biopsy. At the time i was newly married and had two young children and was devestated. I now realise that far from being unlucky, i was actually very,very lucky as despite later problems i went on to have another much wanted baby who is nearly 7 now and i was finally given the news earlier this year that i can go back to three yearly smears now as they are sure i am clear. I now make sure all my friends have regular smears as they are SO important, mine literally saved my life. I hope yours is a minor issue, such as mentioned in the messages above, but if it isn't....dont worry....and please feel free to email me anytime if you want to talk about it.....thats the biggest help ever, having someone to talk to who understands what you are going through. Once again, most smears that come back showing something are minor issues that either settle down, or are solved very easily and quickly, so try not to worry too much while you have to wait to see your doctor. Best wishes Yvette

*Debbie

*Debbie Report 17 Dec 2004 21:55

Lisa you will be fine don't worry I went years with mine like that as long as they keep an eye on you it is ok my doctor told me it takes 15 years to develop with out treatment so do not worry enjoy your Christmas LOve Debs.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Dec 2004 21:57

well Lisa, so many people to share your worry. Not that it will stop you worrying but you may not be panicking quite as much. i was actually called back on my 40th birthday - some birthday preent i thought- but it was just a bad smear and I have been OK since (24 years). The man thing and the good thing is that you had a smear and whatever it is has been caught. Our ancestors would not have been so lucky. Ann Glos