General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Food for thought ( Brussels Sprouts )

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merlin

Merlin Report 23 Dec 2004 15:30

Just read this in a Newspaper.Their side effects may have you planning your own great escape,but sprouts are as much a part of Christmas as Turkey leftovers.here are plenty of good reasons to scoff your sprouts. Brussels contain Sulforaphane and glucosinolates,two compounds that can help Cancer.Recent reserch suggests they can battle Bowel Cancer and may also trigger the release ofenzymes which can fight Breast Cancer cells.Wieght for Wieght they contain more vitamin C than an Orange,this means they are great for fighting off Winter Colds.They are bursting with Beta Carotene,a plant compound which benifits the Immune system and can protect Lung Tissue against Pollution.They are a good source of Folic Acid.A study in the American Journel of Medicine found Folic Acid may keep Blood Vessels working better and protect against Heart Disease. Tucking into them can also help your Liver,This is because Glucosinolates can Boost the Organs Detoxifying Enzymes.It also contains Chlorophyl,a green piment that can help neutralise Bad Breath.They also contain Potassium,a mineral which helps to Lower Blood Pressure,Its used by the body to Eliminate Blood Impurities and Improve Circulation. So for a Little veg. which a lot of people dislike,its not bad is it? Happy Sprout Eating Christmas to Everybody. Hal.

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 23 Dec 2004 15:34

I Love Sprouts!!! Shaz x

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 23 Dec 2004 15:35

Sound like natures cure all - as with all vegetables these claims can only be made for the freshly cut raw vegetble.Goodnes is reduced considerably by cooking ans completely be micro-waving food.If you want to eat healthily, eat RAW=Enjoy. Rose

Merlin

Merlin Report 23 Dec 2004 15:38

Christmas Rose, Did you mean Eat raw as in uncooked,or In the Raw?. Hal.

Clare

Clare Report 23 Dec 2004 16:15

i love sprouts but they give me terrible wind!!!!!!

Bob

Bob Report 23 Dec 2004 16:48

I like the little ones

Big

Big Report 23 Dec 2004 16:53

try them with a humus topping - they go very well together.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 23 Dec 2004 18:29

Love those sprouts! :)