General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 23 Dec 2004 15:50

Just started cooking the 11lb ham - it must be Christmas!

John

John Report 23 Dec 2004 15:51

How many will that feed Ann?

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 23 Dec 2004 15:56

You are not going to believe this John - my husband and son will chomp their way through this over the next week! My son was with me when I said I think this year I will buy a 5 lb one - he said a naughty word and I threatened to wash his mouth out with soap! Ham never goes to waste in this house! I actually look forward to the big pot of veg. soup made with the ham stock. Dinner on Christmas Eve is always the same, ham, egg and chips!

John

John Report 23 Dec 2004 15:57

Wow!

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 23 Dec 2004 16:20

Ann are you boiling the ham or baking it? Shaz x

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 23 Dec 2004 16:50

Both Shaz - I buy a 'green' ham (not supposed to need soaking - but it does) soak for 24 hours changing water about 4 times. Into the catering pot which covers half of my hob (pot usually resides most of year in loft) goes the ham - 20 mins per lb plus 30 mins. Ham this year is 5.3 kg - I roughly work on 11 lb so bring to boil then simmer for 2 hrs 45 mins or so. Lif out - cool slightly - skin - score fat into diamonds - sprinkle mixed spice over - brush warmed honey over spice and then place clove into each 'diamond'. Wrap up in foil - place in oven about 170 for about 90 mins or so - pull foil back for last 20 mins so ham becomes nicely brown - VOILA! Even though I say it myself - it does make a nice ham and anyone who comes always wanders off with a slice or two much to my son's disgust! Then I use about half the stock into the pressure cooker, lots of veggies and lovely soup! Waste not, want not! Birds love the skin chopped up finely! I do make hams throughout the year - usually holiday times/bank holidays - never goes to waste and nice hot or cold. Keeps well - if you can keep the gannets out of the fridge!

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 23 Dec 2004 16:53

Thankyou So Much for that Ann.... I usually just boil and wanted to try baking it this year.... didnt even enter my head to do both!! I will be trying it your way now! I'll tell my lot its not boiled ham or baked ham.. Its Ann's Ham!! Thanks again and Merry Xmas Shaz x

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 23 Dec 2004 16:59

Shaz - when you try it - let me know what you think - doubt it will stay long! Enjoy and have a Merry Christmas. Just had email from g.son - grandma are you making your ham this year????????????

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 23 Dec 2004 18:48

Got my lump of ham.. lovely! :)

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 23 Dec 2004 19:12

About to put my gammon in to soak and I will bake it tomorrow and the hoards will have it hot for their tea with roast potatoes , a selection of vegetables and pineapple rings. They will eat it cold all over Christmas and I'll probably have to cook another one at New Year. But I hate the stuff and will be having a vegetable pie instead! Viv