General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any of us got tinnitus?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sand

Sand Report 1 Jan 2005 18:49

My Dad's just been diagnosed and we know so little about the condition. His tinnitus is in one ear and is caused by years in the printing industry. He had a few hours yesterday where the noise disappeared completely and says he wished he knew how it happened so he could make it happen again! Have just found the RNID site but would be interested to hear anyone's personal perspective. In particular, we are wondering if it gets worse, or is it likely to spread to the other ear? And has anyone tried any alternative therapies like acupuncture? Many thanks.

Lucky

Lucky Report 1 Jan 2005 18:53

I will keep an eye on this thread too. My mum has it and my daughter got it after she was involved in a traffic accident, 5 years ago. I vaguely remember reading an article which suggested something to help it, but lost it. Diane

Karen

Karen Report 1 Jan 2005 18:59

Hi Sally Doctor told me I had tinnitus a year ago after I complained of continually ringing and high pitched squeal in my left ear. I was told there was no real reason to explain why I developed it (am relatively young (late 20 ies) and not involved in an industry like printing or construction where there is exposure to loud noises. Have found that the condition is worse when I am tired or when it is very quiet. Also certain pitches of voice appear to aggreviate it. Often use a personal stereo to ensure there is some background noise and therefore dulls the ringing noise. Have found it exceptionally useful at night and often go to sleep with earphones on. Doctor has not indicated whether the tinnitus will be permanent or will spread. My father did have tinnitus about 10 years ago but it was temporary. It went away as mysteriously as it came - am hoping that mine will be similiar. Am certain the doctor gave me a leaflet with a good website. Will try and hunt it out for you and give you the details. With kind regards Karen

Sue

Sue Report 1 Jan 2005 19:03

Hi Sally Hubby has it. His was caused through rifle shooting in the RAF. His mother suffers from it also (she didn't shoot though!) and her doctor suggested having a radio on all the time. It didn't seem to help her but I think each person is different. Hubby's is worse some days than others, and it isn't constant. It's a nuisance at times though, and tends to get him down. Sorry, I haven't actually offered any words of help! Sue

Sand

Sand Report 1 Jan 2005 19:17

Thank you for sharing, everyone. The personal stereo's a brilliant idea! For those who would be interested in learning more, I just found lots of useful info on 'www.rnid.org.uk' They have a 'tinnitus focus' newsletter which has lots of useful info on it. I printed it off for Dad. My poor Dad's suddenly feeling very old, I think. He's waiting for his cataract ops, so can't see too well at present. He's also been told he has diminished hearing as well as the tinnitus. I think it's all made him feel a but vulnerable, bless him.

Angela

Angela Report 1 Jan 2005 19:18

I don't get the ringing but get clicking in one ear especially. Have had it for around 7 years and GP can't find any reason for it. He's considered various things including eustachian canal infections/problems but none of the treatments make a difference. It sounds like a geiger counter and is worse at night when it's quiet. Luckily it isn't there all the time or I'd go potty, but when it is I could scream. Haven't found any miracle cures but find that wearing a personal stereo on low, or having a tv on low and using the "sleep" function to get it to switch off on its own does drown it out when I'm trying to get to sleep. And it's not a problem of old age. I was in my early 30s when I developed it and have no connection with noisy industries etc. Angela

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 1 Jan 2005 19:23

nuddge

David

David Report 1 Jan 2005 22:46

I've had it for years, my hearing is not good after years of tractor driving and other machinary opperating, also shooting, the tinnitus is very constant with high pitched ringing noises and whistling bit like an out of tune radio, it is much worse when i am tired, i have got used to it and tend to ignore it. David

BrianW

BrianW Report 1 Jan 2005 23:14

I suffer from it too, a constant high pitched whistle similar to that which you get from some radio sets. Can't say when it started, sort of crept up on me!

Paul (Tigger)

Paul (Tigger) Report 1 Jan 2005 23:59

My brother also has tinnitus but has been fitted with an hearing aid which counteracts the ringing in his ear its an aid made for tinnitus. he has no problems at all now he loves it , Would ask your doctor about this should be available to everyone on NHS

Sand

Sand Report 2 Jan 2005 16:13

Paul, Thank you for that. I had no idea that a hearing aid could help. Dad's seeing the GP on Tuesday so he can go in armed with a few questions now! Many thanks to everyone for their advice. I will let you know if Dad learns of any new developments in the treatment of tinnitus.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Jan 2005 16:24

I have it, mine is a low hum, like a lorry engine running in the distance all the time. i have had it a while (at least 14 years) together with developing a hearing loss (the two often go together). There is no cure but sufferers learn to manage it in different ways. it is worse when it is quiet, playing music into earrphones is one way of managing it. I belong to hearing concern and they often have tips. I agree it is very annoying when you first develop it, and is worse if you concentrate on it. It is possible to live with it.....I do. Ann Glos