General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any Recomendations for Scatica

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 2 Jan 2005 06:21

I have had Scatica now in my left leg for over two weeks Christmas and New year just came and went i did not enjoy it all , ive been to the dr painkillers given, ive been to an osteopath very little releif from that, he recomended lay down or standup has anyone got any more ideas as to how to cure this horrid pain i am getting desperate now. Margaret

Sand

Sand Report 2 Jan 2005 16:00

Hi Margaret, I do feel for you, as I've had sciatica myself. Sounds obvious but I find it helps to make sure I walk and sit straight and not to attempt anything rigorous. If the osteopath didn't help, you could try someone else. I know it's expensive, but I've been through several osteopaths and chiropractors and it is definitely about technique. There is a very gentle technique which cranial osteopaths use which I found worked very well with sciatica. I find most osteopaths suggest applying heat for ten minutes, then cold for ten, and alternate like that. It can help with all sorts of ailments. I do hope it improves soon. I don't think people are sympathetic unless they have experienced it themselves!

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Jan 2005 16:09

My dad had sciatica, saw the doctor, had pills etc, no better, saw chiropractor, no difference, went to osteopath - tiny woman, who grabbed him and did some quick maneuvre (can't spell) and he was cured. no trouble ever again. nell

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 2 Jan 2005 17:21

Hi Margaret, I sympathise!! You know the sciatic nerve is at least as thick as your thumb and runs from your back down to your feet...and when it is irritated the pain is excruciating! I don't know the cause of your sciatica, but in my case it was a prolapsed and ruptured spinal disc and in the end I needed surgery to rectify it. I believe most sciatic nerve problems are caused by prolapsed discs. Sometimes the leathery outer casing of the disc cracks and the jelly like nucleus bulges out along the crack and touches the sciatic nerve. The Doctor can sometimes tell which disc is causing the problem by how far the pain travels down your leg and how high you can lift the leg from a lying down position before the pain starts. Unfortunately discs don't show up on ordinary x-rays, and if the pain persists you should ask for a special x-ray to be performed to find out the cause of your problem. Being a nerve pain, there is little you can do to alleviate it completely, I tried all options - including diamorphine! I do still get lesser episodes of sciatica, and here is what I find helps most..... If sleeping on your side...place a pillow or cushion between your knees. This keeps your spine straight rather than tipped over to the side. Don't lie in bed or sit down for too long. Keep moving, but gently! Gentle stretching exercises help, so does swimming. An aspirin at bedtime (its a great anti-inflammatory). Dee x

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 2 Jan 2005 18:20

Oh Margaret you have my sympathy. It is soooooo painful. It used tio make me feel sick. I found it helped if I sat in a straight backed chair instead of a soft armchair. Other than that I can only offer you hugs. Mine ran its long course. Jean x.

Lisa

Lisa Report 2 Jan 2005 20:42

Margaret, you have my sympathy as I used to suffer. Initially, Valium was the only thing that helped me as its the only 'muscle relaxant'. That was until I found a Chiropractor that does 'Sacro Opitical' technique. Changed my life! Now if it starts and I can't get to the Chiro I use a 'Swiss Ball' and a 'foam roll' that one of the personal trainers in the gym showed me how to use to ease the pain. Good luck Lisa x

Margaret

Margaret Report 3 Jan 2005 06:36

Thank you all for the tips given for helping to get rid of sciatica, i had some light releif from it on Sunday but the pain is back again this morning ,im off to see another Ostopath this afternoon, I shall be seeing thr dr on Tuesday again to see if i can get an xray Thank you all Margaret.

Jean

Jean Report 3 Jan 2005 09:15

i bought a heat massage pad from argos it fits in my rocking chair and it really helps....costs about £50, but you can get cheaper ones....also an exercise bike helps..

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Jan 2005 10:19

Margaret. I had this complaint from working in a hospital. I went to my doctor who gave me some anti-inflamitary tablets and sent me to a physiotherapist. She was wonderful and in no time I was able to return to work. She was a sports physio and did some gentle stretching and used the tens machine. It was sore the next day due to the treatment which she told me would happen but then got better each day after that. I have degeneration of the spine. Since I left work I have improved and am pain free, except if I lift something very heavy which is stupid of me I know. Hope you get some relief soon.

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Jan 2005 10:18

Update on my Sciatica problem, i went back to the Ostopath on Monday gave me the works has now said heat on the back top part of my leg, and to massage the back of the leg ,still no sitting only lying down or walking ,back to see him on Friday but im thinking of finding a Chiropracter Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jan 2005 17:24

chiropractor...not cheap,but worth every penny. bryan.

Sand

Sand Report 4 Jan 2005 19:20

Hi Margaret, Can you believe it?!! Guess what I got this a.m??? Bloomin sciatica! First bout in ages--that'll teach me not to talk about it! Going to osteopath on Friday so hopefully will be fixed. Sitting on a hard chair instead of my computer chair is what did it--lesson learnt!

Margaret

Margaret Report 4 Jan 2005 20:52

Oh Sally Poor you ,ive had some light releif today but only because i have rested it and done some walking around plus my dear neiebour gave it a massage as well which i think has helped, Margaret