General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Yorkshire Grit

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 3 Jan 2005 14:17

See Below

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 3 Jan 2005 14:17

Interesting Find... The 1871 census returns for Newmillerdam in the parish of Sandal, Yorkshire include an entry for George GAWTHORPE, a 101 year-old widower. The enumerator has helpfully included the following note: 'Laid in bed about 15 years through the imperfect setting of a broken leg, healthy all through that period' TNA reference: RG10/4616 folio 13 page 19 Bob

Slinky

Slinky Report 3 Jan 2005 14:55

They do say that the yorkshire lot are tough old birds...I'm one too!!!! lol

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Jan 2005 16:17

some years back,i saw a ducumentary about..brian close..the yorkshire and england batsman. he was batting against the feared west indies fast bowlers,the only protection he had was a bat,gloves,and pads...the west indian bowlers threw bouncer after bouncer at him..did he duck? no! he stuck out his chest,and took the full force...not recommended...as it could have killed him......but true grit! bryan.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 3 Jan 2005 16:43

Ooooooo I've got Gawthorpes in my tree! Where's Sandal? Jeanette x

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Jan 2005 16:51

Tough old birds? had visitors on Boxing day, nephew, his Mother and her Mother (my Aunt) she was 99 in august 2004 and she walked up our fairly steep drive without help,all hoping she makes the ton this year. a really tough 'un. peter

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 3 Jan 2005 16:59

Jeanette Sandal not far from Wakefield where She lives. Sue

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 3 Jan 2005 17:02

Thanks Sue. I haven't really investigated this branch yet (maternal gt gt grandmother) so I don't know if they originate from there. My family don't seem to venture much further than East Yorks. Jeanette x

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 3 Jan 2005 17:06

Jeanette Sandal is now part of Wakefield I think. Newmillerdam is a nice place on A61 south of Wakefield and worth a stop if your ever passing through (has a big lake and park). A little less mutual admiration from the Kippax cousins please !! Bob :))