General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Zulu

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 3 Jan 2005 14:33

It's starting to get scary.

John

John Report 3 Jan 2005 14:39

Yes!

John

John Report 3 Jan 2005 14:56

It's still gripping after all this time!

Merlin

Merlin Report 3 Jan 2005 14:59

When are you going to sing "Men Of Harlech"?.

Sandra

Sandra Report 3 Jan 2005 15:03

i saw zulu for the first time about 30 years ago, i went to the fleapit in Brighton double back row seats with a then boyfriend, every time i see this film it brings back the memories, a classic film in my book lol sandra

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 3 Jan 2005 15:28

One of the greatest films of all times.Not only does it depict the incredible bravery of the Briysh Soldiers,but the amazing Zulu Nation with their mark of respect to valient warriors.I love the film-Rose

Tudor

Tudor Report 3 Jan 2005 15:36

If only Ivor Emmanuel had sung something they KNEW!

Rupert

Rupert Report 3 Jan 2005 15:36

I'm back again,oh to show my wife thatits not just me who thinks that Zulu is one of the great films of all time. I had to buy a second copy of this film and now to my wifes horror the youngest daughter (!) has given me the DVD . I.m having to wait for the wife to go to bed so that I canwatch it Can't wait. Rupert Bear.

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 3 Jan 2005 16:05

Just caught the end of it - though I have seen it many times before. When it was newly released, Gonville Bromhead's uniform was on display locally, and I think it is still in the town museum. There is a house named after him in the local school, and his descendants are still serving in the army.

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 3 Jan 2005 19:36

Didn't have it on this afternoon for a change ,one of my grandsons is hooked on it and watches it nearly every week Iv'e got to the stage where I hide the video if I know he's coming It is a good film though Bren

Paul (Tigger)

Paul (Tigger) Report 3 Jan 2005 20:05

did u know tho that the zulu warriors were all stoned lol they were all off their head with drugs thats why they fought as hard as they did

Joy

Joy Report 3 Jan 2005 21:20

Very good film. I really knew that the Zulus wouldn't attack again, because I'd seen it before, but still I went oh no!! Joy

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 3 Jan 2005 21:20

wat drugs did they take and did they take them by choice ?

Paul (Tigger)

Paul (Tigger) Report 3 Jan 2005 21:26

was some sort of plant and it was eaten by choice yes it made them fight like 10 men also didnt feel the pain from wounds sustained in battle

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Jan 2005 21:31

Some scholars have suggested that Zulu pharmacopoeia provided more of a psychological boost than any real physiological effect. But recent scientific studies show that the medicines contained some very potent drugs. For example, warriors were given a cannabis (marijuana)-based snuff to take during battle. Analysis of the snuff has revealed that it contained extremely high levels of THC, a powerful hallucinogen, and yet no detectable levels of the chemicals that cause the sedative effects of marijuana. And by the way - I personally think it is an excellent movie - brilliantly shot, well directed and the acting is superbe - made people realise that the men fighting in the Boer War were our lads -

Paul (Tigger)

Paul (Tigger) Report 3 Jan 2005 21:38

well no answer to that one is there she